Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Attachments

Comments

• Wow - great extension. I have really learned a lot about vanilla-internals while studying the sources :)

I have found a little typo near lines 154 and 170, should be MimeType not MineTypes ..
  • I think this is a great extension too, when used in Firefox or IE. But I would still love to hear from you php experts as to why it doesn't work in Safari!
  • Thanks for the great stuff. I have a problem with attached file names, but I dont know where this comes from. If I try to download a 2-byte-language-file-name file with IE 6, the file name changes into meaningless roman alphabet name without file type extension. For Example, when I try to download a file named "言語生活.ppt" or "参考資料.zip" etc, IE asks me if I save an unkown file "CALDDE5" or "DACNJK4" etc. And Safari downloads the file with garbled name + file type extension. FF and Opera are good. How could i solve this problem? Thank you in advance.
  • @sujang
    Hi, you can change the line #379 of default.php from:
    header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="'.$FileName.'"'); to if (eregi('msie', $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']))header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="'.urlencode($FileName).'"'); else header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="'.$FileName.'"');
    Since I haven't Mac to test Safari browser, This may just fix your problem in IE. (Could you tell me the result with safari?)
    // It's test in my forum with UTF-8 encode only, if you using other encode, you may have to use iconv to change $FileName to UTF-8 encode first.
  • Yes, it fixed my problem with IE ! BIG THANKS SkyBoy ! In Safari, file name changes into something like "%EB%A7%91%EC%9D%80%EA%B3%A0%EB%94%955.0.zip" I am using UTF-8 too. I am very happy with your help, thanks again.
  • sujang, I don't see how you are getting Attachments to work in Safari, in ANY language! I've tried everything, but it just won't work in Safari. Works perfectly in Firefox and IE though. But when adding a comment and a file attachment in Safari, the comment gets posted by no attachment!
  • JDW, I just mentioned on the downloading problem. I cannot upload files using Safari, too. I hope the next update of Attachments will clear this issue. I do not know whether Safari handles files in non-standard way or not.
  • Same here. There seems to be a few issues with javascript events. See also http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/6155/safari-and-deleting-comments/#Item_1

Sometimes page reloads don't seem to get fired off in Safari so any javascript code waiting on a page reload fails. This affects Attachments as well as deleting comments.
  • I'm afraid this is a rather stupid question, but does attachments work in 1.1.2? I've dropped it in my extensions folder, but can't seem to activate the extension.
  • um, nevermind, i left javascript disabled in web developer. i'm an idiot.
  • quoo, you are not an idiot. It simply is an unfortuate fact that we cannot delete our own posts on this site! If we could, then we could delete our own irrelevant posts, reduce the overall footprint of this forum on Mark's server, and make the forum a cleaner and better place for all of us. And while Vanilla does allow Administrators to allow members to delete posts, there is no timer. Perhaps that is why Mark doesn't allow us to delete our own posts. I think there should be a time limit of something like 48 hours for you to delete your most recent posts. That timer would then prevent naughty folk from deleting ALL their posts, should they ever become disgruntled on a site and wish to wipe all their posts in an attempt to screw up past post relevance. This would really be a nice addition to this forum, and to all our forums.

But now that I think of it, perhaps better than a "timer" (or something to supplement a timer) would be a requirement to first have any "reply" posts be deleted before you can delete yours. Meaning, if you post two days ago and two people reply to your post, you obviously shouldn't be allowed to delete your post without first having asked to two repliers to delete theirs. Then their posts would not be out of place when your post is deleted. But obviously, something such as this would need to be built into the framework of Vanilla itself, and such is certainly a subject for another thread.
  • Of course, even honest mistakes like quoo made are useful to others. Perhaps this has happened to someone else, they've read quoo's comment, checked their JS settings and it's quickly solved their problem. Considering you can edit your post, I think there's enough in place already ;)
  • I'd just like to ask what 'Manage attachments' actually does? I gave a role this permission, they uploaded something and then were able to click edit & then had the option to delete the attachment or upload more. I removed the role permission and they could still do the same. I believe the two permissions are: Add attachments Manage attachments <----------------
  • Are you sure 'manage attachments' doesnt allow the user to manage other peoples attachments in the same way they can already manage their own
  • Yep, in order to manage it you have to first click 'edit'. My regular member role has 'manage attachments' enabled for it but it cannot edit/manage another member's attachments in anyway.. well not the admins anyway.
  • whenever i try to delete an attachment, it doesn't delete it... it display "deleting..." after asking confirmation to do the deletion...but then the file is still there in the forum and in the folder structure any idea what i could be missing ?
  • What browser are you using? Safari?
  • There's a problem with the Notify Extension that manifests itself when you use the Attachments extension. After I installed the Attachments extension, I couldn't download any binary file (images, pdfs, word docs, etc). The host application would tell me the file was corrupt, or something like that. On text documents, I noticed that the file was always padded with a couple of extra newlines at the top. Obviously, so file had some extra carriage returns, but which file? So, I disabled my other extensions one at a time, and found that Notify was the culprit. In both the Notify/default.php and Notify/ajax.php, there were two extra line feeds at the bottom of the files. So, if you have Notify installed, and your Attachments are not downloading properly, check your Notify extension.
  • Hello, I'm having some trouble attaching certain files using this add-on. Some .doc files work without a hitch, but some produce the following error message: "Some problems were encountered. The file you attempted to upload (Sea Life ds.doc) was of type "application/octet-stream", but the file extension "doc" did not match the accepted extensions for this type of file: rar, RAR." Any idea how I can fix this?
  • I have a different kind of problem. My site recently changed hosts and I had to migrate data the hard way i.e. manual backing up the files and transferring the data as well as DB dumps to the new servers. The transition is almost fine except for a problem in the attachments plugin. Previously, on my old server, I was able to Upload all my files and the plugin worked great. Since the day I've migrated to the new server - I cant see any attachments link on my comments section. I tried disabling and re-enabling the plugin but with no result. The strangest thing is that even the attachments plugin's settings link (which should be displayed on the settings page >> left side navigation) is not being displayed. Can someone help me out?