Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Multi Roles

Comments

• I wouldn't change the core tables. It could potentially break that way as Vanilla gets updated.

If it would make things that much better/faster (stronger?) then ask Mark if it can be added to the core of the next release of Vanilla. That way you can know that it won't break in the future and cause people who have used it a nightmare upgrade.
  • Well, for the moment I have added a new column, and it is doing the trick. I don't forsee any problems with updates, if I am honest, if for some reason the extension is no longer used, or isn't within an update or insert query, it should just be ignored (as it is the last column, and it has a default set). The only problem I see, is if in an update Mark wanted to add another column to the CategoryRoleBlock table.

I just dread the thought of adding yet another silly look-up table when the attribute I am wanting to add is so directly related to the entity... it is breaking the form of the database, making it slopping and slow.

Perhaps there is a better way of doing this, hmmmmmmm.

Adam.
  • It would be great if we could have some comment from Mark and those people with SVN access? If there isn't a good reason why not, perhaps this can be added to the core pronto? This extension is certainly something that a lot of people would find very useful.
  • It has been advise (could be mark, but I am not sure) to extend tables instead of using jointures. As long as you use a name that will never be user for core column (ExtensionNaneSomething) and that you can specify a default value, you can add it to a core table.
  • Thanks Dinoboff, I will add the extension name as a prefix.

Adam.
  • Okay, I have finished the beta of my updates to MultiRoles, finally... it was a fair bit more complex than I anticipated, I can see why it wasn't implemented in the first place.

This is going to be a temperamental beta, it may break extensions, and it may not function correctly, so please test it thoroughly for me.

If you use SubCategories, you will -need- to update SubCategories to the latest version before the two will work together.

Jazzman, I don't know how you want to do the release of this, I haven't changed the author on the default.php info, so if you want to continue to develop it yourself feel free to upload this release (or a more stable one when I am done with it).

Grab the zip at: http://webality.co.uk/vanilla/MultiRoles-2.0b.zip

Updates:
    • MultiRoles now honours category permissions
    • Category permissions now extend to read and read/write on categories
    Edit (23:42 GMT): Just re-uploaded the zip to provide a fix for Unauthenticated users

Edit: There are still tonnes of problems with it, I have along train journey tomorrow morning, I will try to fix them then.
  • yea, i installed yours, venus, first extension on my forum, and i get the following on every page load. ========= Notice: Undefined index: MultiRoles_ReadOnly in /home/virtual/site13/fst/var/www/html/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Class.SqlBuilder.php on line 117 A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while attempting to retrieve writeability of this category. Affected Elements MultiRoles_ReadOnlyCheck.MultiRoles_ReadOnlyCheck(); The error occurred on or near: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'as MultiRoles_ReadOnly from LUM_CategoryRoleBlock crb where crb.RoleID = '4' a' at line 1 ========== You have to manually delete it with ftp and then go into your conf/extensions to manually delete the load line for multiroles before your forum gets back to normal.
  • Let me look in to this.

I am almost ready to release 2.0beta2

Adam.
  • Okay, I have fixed your problem, robertpate.

Beta2 is available now: http://webality.co.uk/vanilla/MultiRoles-2.0b2.zip

Please download it and check for bugs =), this beta fixes many of the problems I was having with multiroles extending access to sub-role's categories. It should all work as anticipated now.

Adam.
  • Hey, looks good, works great! No more errors. One bit of imbalance, though this comes from vanilla itself. When you create a new role you can set which categories to which it has access. But if you go to edit that role, there's no more categories to select or de-select. You have to go to the category itself and set which role does has what access level from there. Not a problem, just a usability improvement. That said, your latest version, venus, is looking real good. I was able to create an additional role that gave read/write access to a exclusive forum that everyone else could only read. Before, only "access" could be set to each category, not the level. The next step would be the ability to grant admin powers in a single forum to a single role. When I give a role that has access to only one category "sink" powers, he can still sink any discussion in any category. Appreciate your work, robert
  • From what robertpate has said, this is looking like an excellent update Adam. I don't currently have a populated forum that I can test this on, only an empty test one, but this looks like it's going to be an essential extension for Vanilla :)

Robert's comment about not being able to set category permissions from the role is a good one. If this could be implemented (maybe in 2.5) then it would certainly speed things up for the admin.

Looking forward to version 3, perhaps there could be a way of showing the members of a moderation/admin group for a category? This could be put into a nugget (to help keep things a little simpler) and then placed wherever the admin chooses.
  • Robertpate, I didn't even realise this existed when adding a role, I will see what I can do =) Your second suggestion (although useful) is quite difficult to implement. I will have a think about it.

Stash, I don't know about the whole nugget thing, I don't think it is within the scope of this extension... perhaps someone could write another extension or an actual nugget to achieve it, it wouldn't be too difficult.

Adam.
  • You're right Adam. There's no real reason to include the category group in this extension. However, this extension will enable this very feature! that's why I mentioned it here I guess :)
  • The site is down. Could anyone reupload 2.0b2?
  • It's back up =) (my server is a bit up and down at the moment as I work to fix it, if it is down retry again later)
  • Thank you. I'm having some issues though... When I enable it, this message gets displayed: "Could not update Multi Roles database table!"
  • * bump *
  • Sorry, I have been very busy at the moment (I am starting University and moving on Saturday). I will hopefully have some time to work on it in the coming week.

Adam.
  • Thx, I've installed MultiRoles2.0b it's a very good plugins.
    Someone have modified the plugin to add a moderation/admin group for a category?
  • Multi Roles 2.0b is great... except that it doesn't always work. on my forum, a user that has a lesser role as primary, plus has admin doesn't actually get "PERMISSION_HIDE_COMMENTS" when push comes to shove :-S