Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FCKeditor

Comments

• most forums use BBcode and it works in all browsers
    you can always tell ur safari users to not use firefox.
  • Uploaded version 2.4.2 of FCKeditor.
  • ok enabled checkbrowser mode. no idea what it will do on safari. perhaps if ur lucky it will just disable itself.
    PLus added a template button with a blog post template
  • MySchizoBuddy,
    Thank you for the checkbrowser mode. I just uploaded the new version 2.4.2 and tested it in Safari. Function is exactly the same as 2.4.1 in Safari -- disables itself but line breaks are stripped away. Then upon disabling the FCKeditor extension, line breaks reappear!

Wanderer,
    Thanks for the tip about Quicktags. I've actually had my eye on that but due to it being version 0.5 and due to the dearth of comments on it, I have avoided it until today thinking it may be alpha-grade material. However, I just installed it and tested (after having disabled FCKeditor). You can read my report here.
  • Uploaded version 2.4.3 of FCKeditor.
  • totally disabled for Safari
    Now enable HTML formatter before you enable fckeditor. IN safari FCKeditor will be disabled, and HTMLformatter will be used instead
  • The point is that JDW (as I understand it) needs a gui formatter for ALL users.
    Installing FCKeditor will not achieve this, since it (now) disables itself in Safari leaving the user with no gui.
    HTML formatter works "behind the scenes" it is not a gui.

Posted: Monday, 23 April 2007 at 7:32AM

• there is no WYSIWYG for safari in existence Quicktags isn't WYSIWYG FredCK the creator of FCKeditor is working with the webkit dev team to fix the issues in the javascript engine of webkit http://www.mail-archive.com/webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org/msg00084.html there won't with with the current safari version at all. perhaps in the future if Apple decides to update safari to latest webkit engine, that will be good. Hopefully when Leopard is released, Safari for Tiger will be updated as well
  • Well Quicktags is a GUI if not a WYSIWYG in a true sense.

At least Quicktags works. Let's face it, we are looking at formatting a simple and most often short paragraph. It's ridiculous to try and replicate Microsoft Word clone for such a piddly result. In one word, over-kill!
    (or is that two words? Do hyphens count?)

Posted: Monday, 23 April 2007 at 7:48AM

• i use a basic toolbar, not the default one. stripped down version of fckeditor, then it isn't overkill, its just perfect. just for knowledge, FCKeditor nightly almost works with webkit nightly http://www.fckeditor.net/nightly/browsers_test.html Here is the comment by FredCK "I will be able to announce the compatibility only when the editor will be working with Safari at 100%. Our users expect that. I really don't want to use it as a marketing thing, like others do. It's a matter of credibility, and responsibility. The nice thing is that it seams we are not that far from that, specially if we continue in the rhytym we are going now. I really thank all the WebKit group for the brilliant work you have been doing."
  • MySchizoBuddy,

I have just uploaded 2.4.3 and confirmed that it is now being 100% disabled in Safari. Line breaks now work for new posts in Safari, and all my old posts now have their line breaks present.

Many thanks for your time in updating this extension.

And I, like Wanderer, hope that some day soon the FCKeditor team can get full Safari compatibility going. That will be good for all of us in the end.

Thanks again!
  • I have a question with FCKEditor. Is there a way to auto-hyperlink links? So that you can paste a link in the text and don't have to bother manually linking?

I know the "Extended Text Formatter" extension does this automagically for text, not for html though.
  • no fckeditor doesn't have such a feature
  • ahh ic - i might have to dive into the exntended text formatter and extend it a little more. ta!
  • Not compatible with Safari. why ? my vanilla forum members all Working on Safari .. www.appleapps.net
  • AppleAps. FCKeditor author has disabled Safari untill its 100% working and all bugs are fixed. he is working with Safari developers to fix bugs in safari as well that are messing up Fckeditor.
    you should encourage all ur safari users to jump to webkit nightly. Because ones FCKeditor officially supports safari. it won't support the current version. only webkit nightly and the safari version coming with Leapard

Btw just for record there is no WYSIWYG that works with safari. If u however do find one. do let me know.
  • Oops .! okay, safari in leapard The reform will be all the current problems . I am working on Forced BBCode .. http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=229 It works well on safari .. But he has some problems sometimes, as it does not have any update thanx :)
  • It appears that I am also having a problem with links that are 101+ characters in length. When I view the source of the post I see it correctly, but it just won't be clickable like a normal link. This appears to be the case in both Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE6.
  • For the 101+ character problem, I think this is an FCK issue, so you should really take that up with them.
  • open up settings.php
    change this value 'href' => array('maxlen' => 100),
    to something like 125.

from kses documentation 'maxlen' checks that the length of the attribute value is not greater than the given value. It is helpful against Buffer Overflows in WWW clients and various servers on the Internet. In my example above, it would mean that "<a href='ftp://ftp.v1ct1m.com/AAAA..thousands_of_A's...'>" wouldn't be accepted. Of course, this problem is even worse if you put that long URL in a <frame> tag instead, so the WWW client will fetch it automatically without a user having to click it.