Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Live Discussions

Comments

• Yeah I see the problem. Prototype and Scriptaculous are randomly being added the the page's head. I'm really not sure why they're being added there though. I'll have a rifle through your extensions to see what's causing it.

Edit:
    OK, it's the Page Manager extension. That's a rather popular one so I'll have to write some compatibility stuff into Mootools. Hello version 1.8
  • and how long has the mootools extension been out? the live discussions options could be moved into the forum preferences page for simplicity (rather then having its own page). don't do a whole new LiveDiscussions version just for that though.
  • Mootools 1.8 fixes the incompatibility with Page Manager at the slight expense that Collapsible Panel will not work on the Page Manager configuration page. If I had to completely remove any incompatibility I'd have to write a version of page manager's javascript that used Mootools instead of Scriptaculous and I'm far too tired to do that right now. The other (and best) alternative would be for SirNot to update his extension and wrap an if statement around his $Head -> AddScript calls. I'll make up a patch and send it to him. Hopefully he'll update it soon enough. My original thought was to have the Live Discussion options in the Forum Preferences. However that forum preferences page only really handles checkboxes well so I thought I'd leave it alone. Admittedly Mootools has not been around long enough to perhaps warrant the 1.8 version number. But as with all my extensions, I don't subscribe to complicated version numbers: Minor update = +0.1, Major update = +1.0.
  • !!! so many posts . wow.. so many updates .. I've upgraded to v1.7 and get 2 errors in Firefox and 3 in IE. Errors in Firefox 1. LiveDiscussion.AttachLink is not a function live.js (line 279) 2. LiveDiscussion.Translate has no properties site.com (line 30) In IE 6 I get 3 errors: 1. Line: 170 Error: Expected identifier, string or number 2. Line: 21 Error: 'LiveDiscussion' is undefined 3. Line: 29 Error: 'LiveDiscussion.Translate' is null or not an object I followed your previous advice and put LiveDiscussion = {}; after line 176 and it solved (issue 2). But other two still persist any clues? I think I should go back to v1.2 Thank you.
  • this should update the "last commented by ____ XX minutes ago" every minute regardless of if the live discussions are on or off
  • @tagnu: I'm not sure why you're getting those errors. Can I have a look at your forum? @fysicslucr: Yeah, it would be a good feature but I think the server overhead's too much. If you have a bunch of users sending requests like that every minute for a small thing like that, it doesn't seem worth it.
  • no, just up the number every minute. (regardless of their update time setting) and when the most recent posting goes into the hours, update a minimum of once an hour. (just upping the number; no need for a server request)
  • Yeah, didn't think of it like that. I'll add it to the todo list.
  • Without it, it makes your forum look kinda cheesy (to the picky eye) Live updates, but the time since last comment has said 7 minutes for the last 15 minutes!
  • How about moving the user options for LiveDiscussions and the (upcoming) user options for UserInfo into a page called 'advanced settings'. This would keep the user's options fairly consolodated, especially considering the pain it would be to add these options to the 'forum preferences' page.
  • every time i turn live discussions on, it turns itself off again after the specified time interval. anybody come across this before?
  • im having the same problem regarding the turn live discussions on not doing anything.
  • just tested this at work, and it does the same thing. i upgraded to 1.1.4 last night, but perhaps something somewhere hasn't overwritten properly. if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be wrong, i'll work on it again this evening.
  • Hi Fyorl,
    here's the link
    http://www.weekendfever.com/
  • i think i've found out why my live discussions is turning itself off in firefox. when viewed in IE7, i see a script error: Line 33 Char 3 'LiveDiscussion' is undefined Code 0
  • The dictator in me wants to force LiveDiscussions on all my users. Is there any way to do this? (yes it's that cool)
  • it's possibly a bad idea to force livediscussions for everyone without warning if your users tend to use the forum from work. some people have closely monitored internet access, and wouldn't be too happy if their hit count went up without them realising!
  • Sorry I've been absent. I will attempt to look into these issues. I run Linux so testing on IE7 is difficult (but not impossible). Live Discussions will turn itself off if it thinks it is receiving an invalid request (like someone has edited javascript variables to circumvent the minimum refresh time). It is possible that, due to server latency, it thinks the requests are too fast when in fact they aren't. It isn't handled very well in the code so I shall look into using a better system.

As for forcing the discussions 'on' for all users, it was discussed in the requests thread and some people felt that this would not be desirable as users may, without knowing, use up their bandwidth limit (if they have one). Still, if you are willing to take flaming from your users then I can implement this. One way would be to allow the default setting to be changed (i.e. You can set it to be on or off by default for users who haven't touched their preferences). The other way is to do away with the Live Discussions link in the sidepanel so users have no way of turning it off. Obviously this would be an admin preference and you will be able to keep the original functionality if you want.
  • Fyorl, some firefox errors Errors in Firefox 1. LiveDiscussion.AttachLink is not a function live.js (line 279) 2. LiveDiscussion.Translate has no properties site.com (line 30)
  • any news on these errors? sorry to be a pain.