Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User Registration Settings Do not want to use reCAPTCHA

hginlihginli New
edited July 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello all ^^

i use V2 Release

my User Registration Settings

it only have

Basic
Approval
Invitation

but my "Basic" i do not want to use reCAPTCHA

can it?

i hope it is "New users fill out a simple form and are granted access immediately."

i need how to edit ?

thank you all ^^

Comments

• In my opinion there is no single reason why you would not want captcha's, and reCaptcha is simply the best...

Without a forum is prone to automated spam.
  • i see!

but i hope can for my user convenient registration

before version have

Closed
    Basic
    Captcha
    Approval
    Invitation

but now not :(

I do not worry about spam ^^
  • Who can help me?

i do not want to use reCAPTCHA :(

beacuse some captcha image is difficult!
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    We are not supporting registration without reCAPTCHA out of the box. Sounds like a good plugin.
  • hginlihginli New
    edited July 2010
    in conf/config.php and config-defaults.php

i change
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha'; // Options are: Basic, Captcha, Approval, Invitation

modify below
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic'; // Options are: Basic, Captcha, Approval, Invitation

will 'Captcha' ---> 'Basic'

it is success ok!!

though is success I want! ^^

but why in my dashboard "User Registration Settings"

should have

Basic
    Captcha
    Approval
    Invitation

but only have

Basic(Captcha)
    Approval
    Invitation

this is bug!?

• I would much rather see programmable security questions (similar to the ones vbulletin added) that can be modified. I've never had spammers make it through questions.

Sure, recaptcha is great... but the service is getting way too busy and I frequently get the "unavailable" message on forms now. Also the average person struggles to read it and transcribe the senseless words. It still takes me 2-3 tries sometimes.

and well, like all the other "undefeatable" captchas it will eventually be defeated. Then what?
  • MikhaelMikhael New
    edited August 2010
    Doesn't Vanilla 2 just leave out the reCaptcha if you don't add your reCaptcha keys in the Dashboard? (I haven't tested that, as I use it, but other systems just leave it out if no keys are entered).

I think some form of configurable Captcha would be good, perhaps similar to the Drupal plugin, where you can choose lots of options for image or question captchas. As I think I mentioned elsewhere, a Vanilla 2 site on an iPhone shows an unreadable reCaptcha image, which will make many interested visitors just leave the page.

My thoughts, based upon some years of spam annoyance, are; Captcha and email verification to stop the bots, email notification to me as Admin on new registrations so I can remove obvious spammers, and then reliance upon community members to report annoying posts.

It's an ongoing and time consuming problem, and now that slave labour human registrants are being used around the world to register on behalf of spam-bots, it's almost impossible to stop initial spammer sign-ups. Personally, I think promoting a good community anti-spam ethos is the best way to go.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Doesn't Vanilla 2 just leave out the reCaptcha if you don't add your reCaptcha keys in the Dashboard?
    Yes
    I think some form of configurable Captcha would be good, perhaps similar to the Drupal plugin, where you can choose lots of options for image or question captchas. As I think I mentioned elsewhere, a Vanilla 2 site on an iPhone shows an unreadable reCaptcha image, which will make many interested visitors just leave the page.
    Vanilla stands for simplicity, so our goal is to find a solution that works and then not bother the admin or users with countless configuration options. There are other forums that do that extremely effectively. The problem with the iPhone is not reCaptcha itself, but that we do not have a mobile theme yet. The solution is therefore to finish the theme, not abandon a perfectly good Captcha system.
    My thoughts, based upon some years of spam annoyance, are; Captcha and email verification to stop the bots, email notification to me as Admin on new registrations so I can remove obvious spammers, and then reliance upon community members to report annoying posts.
    Email verification is something we're going to be releasing soon.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• MikhaelMikhael New
    edited August 2010
    All sounds good @Tim. In mentioning the Drupal plugin I wasn't suggesting that Vanilla 2 follow the Path Of The Great Bloat, but just that a plugin to provide image or question options is useful. I agree wholeheartedly; simple is king.

Edit: Now I think about it, I agree with @Lazarus regarding reCaptcha slowing things down. On a dongle connection where speed can fluctuate, reCaptcha locks up the page load at times. Some sort of internal but similar Captcha would be almost instantly available. While I gave up Drupal for my own sites due to its complexity (albeit very powerful), anyone interested in coding something like this would find their module very interesting; http://drupal.org/project/captcha
  • in conf/config.php and config-defaults.php

i change
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha'; // Options are: Basic, Captcha, Approval, Invitation

modify below
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic'; // Options are: Basic, Captcha, Approval, Invitation

will 'Captcha' ---> 'Basic'

it is success ok!!

though is success I want! ^^

but why in my dashboard "User Registration Settings"

should have

Basic
    Captcha
    Approval
    Invitation

but only have

Basic(Captcha)
    Approval
    Invitation

this is bug!?

Thanks this worked!
  • I'm glad I found this post. It should be an option in the Vanilla install and not left up to the developers opinions.