Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Auto Feed Discussions 0.9.1 Released

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This plugin automatically creates new discussions based on content imported from RSS feeds. Multiple feeds can be enabled simultaneously and will be re-checked automatically based on a configurable frequency.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Hi.

When i try to configure this plugin, i have this message :

Fatal error: Call to undefined method FeedDiscussionsPlugin::GetPluginKey()in /homez.194/********/www/forum/plugins/FeedDiscussions/class.feeddiscussions.plugin.php on line 112

line 112 : $Sender->Title($this->GetPluginKey('Name'));

I use vanilla 2.0.7
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I think you're somehow stuck with an old version of gdn_plugin

Are you sure you updated properly?

• This is my first installation of vanilla. No update at this time.

How i can check that ?
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    This is awesome... technically you could plug in an rss feed from a wordpress blog and it would allow people to use the forum for discussion correct?
    It imports topics of discussion from external sources (supplied by RSS) and makes new discussions out of them.

Obviously it doesn't / can't send the vanilla comments back to the source.

But yeah, you can discuss things in the forum that happen elsewhere.

@baje i'm not sure what's happening with your plugin right now.

I can clearly see the method defined here in Gdn_Plugin (library/core/class.plugin.php):
    /** * Get a specific keyvalue from the plugin info array * * @param string $Key Name of the key whose value you wish to retrieve * @param mixed $Default Optional value to return if the key cannot be found * @return mixed value of the provided key */ public function GetPluginKey($Key, $Default = NULL) { return GetValue($Key, Gdn::PluginManager()->GetPluginInfo(get_class($this), Gdn_PluginManager::ACCESS_CLASSNAME), $Default); }

And it is made available here in FeedDiscussionsPlugin (plugins/FeedDiscussions/class.feeddiscussions.plugin.php):
    class FeedDiscussionsPlugin extends Gdn_Plugin {

By all rights it should work (and does, for me).

• edited September 2010
    I think you're somehow stuck with an old version of gdn_plugin
    If you speak of the database, i have not a "gdn_plugin". Weird !
  • edited September 2010
    Just update vanilla.

2.0.7 => 2.0.9

Just work great now. :)

A manually update feed is planned ? And choice for category discussion creation ?
  • im unable to delete a feed
    Care to elaborate? :p

Error message, expected behavior, observed behavior... ?

• sure, i can click the link to delete the feed, link looks correct, it processes the action but nothing occurs. one sec let me enable debugging
  • debug doesnt really show anything

wait, ive found the issue. I am able to delete rss feeds, i was testing adding a direct link to a post of a blog, not the rss link. I am unable to delete these. Does that make since?
  • i have a few atom feeds that are doing the same thing, can add them, they dont update nor work, and im unable to delete them
  • Really cool plugin! These are all posted in the same category and by the same user (admin) is there any way to change this? It would be nice if different sources could have different accounts.
  • I can't delete feeds either. Click the button and nothing happens.
    Really cool plugin! These are all posted in the same category and by the same user (admin) is there any way to change this? It would be nice if different sources could have different accounts.
    Sure, we have plans for things like that in the future, but this was a V1/beta release to see what people thought.

• Sure, we have plans for things like that in the future, but this was a V1/beta release to see what people thought.
    I would much appreciate those changes!
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    It's working fine for me (plugin v. 0.9 / forum v. 2.0.9). I tested it out using a twitter feed, so it takes the tweet and uses it as the title of the post, uses the same thing as the content, and posts to the forum under the first default category that's available. Gonna explore this a little further, I think it could have some potential (ie. creating discussion around tweets).

Also going to set it up so that my blog posts are fed into discussions so that people in the forum can comment on the posts that way... it would be nice if we could pick what category the feed is posted under, but I guess we can wait for that :)