Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to change the url structure?

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I met vanilla 2 in last two weeks, I like it and enjoy it.
But i have some problems that i can not solve by myself.

1. I want to redesign the sign in panel, but i can not find the code in files, not the css code, i means the php code.

2. url structure. I'm in China and visitors is chinese that means most discussion title is Chinese, and as the design of vanilla, the url of the discussion will be named by the title, so the url is very long because there are Chinese in url like this: http://uicer.com/discussion/24/宿舍电费暑期暴增北师大学生质疑有问题
So, I want to delete the title element from the default url, just leave the No. ID like this: http://uicer.com/discussion/24
How to do that?

3. As above said, my forum is a chinese forum, so many visitors want to get a Chinese ID. How to achieve this goal?

4. And last question, in the process of input these words, i mention that there are a sidebar in the right of input box, I like it. can vanillyforum.org share the code to us or publish an addon?

THX for any reply. : )
Tagged:

Comments

• Is there any one can reply me? Thx.
    @Mark @tim
  • This should be an option in advanced settings. URL structures should be configurable to post/page/discussion id or discussion title. I would suggest adding the feature request on the github project page and await any comments from core developers.
  • no one can answer my question?

the url structure problems is so important to us, because sometimes it's so long.

hope someone can help me.
    thx
  • @Jasla you've tagged this post a 'chinese'. :)
    I can only give you some hints.
    class.disussioncontroller.php. function Index()
    there's a line:
    $this->CanonicalUrl(Url(ConcatSep('/', 'discussion/'.$this->Discussion->DiscussionID.'/'. Gdn_Format::Url($this->Discussion->Name), PageNumber($this->\ Offset, $Limit, TRUE)), TRUE));
    I think you can remove Gdn_Format::Url($this->Discussion->Name)
    maybe it'll cause more bugs and result to huge modification.
  • This is a pretty serious flaw in the software. Having all that extra junk in the URL should be optional as a general best practices issue. However the example shown by the OP demonstrates how this can also be a relatively serious technical issue as well.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    This is a pretty serious flaw in the software. Having all that extra junk in the URL should be optional as a general best practices issue. However the example shown by the OP demonstrates how this can also be a relatively serious technical issue as well.
    It was because of using the discussion title in the URL (and in chinese, it caused issue)
    Some stuff was added in the future 2.0.18 to mitigate this.
  • Can you elaborate on what the new stuff in 2.0.18 is? And how are you guys quoting I don't see an option for that.
  • I doubt that the people who designed this program are racist.