Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Threaded Comments / Show the comment you're replying to*

ShmizzleShmizzle New
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
If you could click "reply" next to someone's comment, and have the comment box (that's usually at the very bottom of the discussion thread) appear right below that comment.

That way, if there are comments below the comment you want to reply to, you don't have to constantly scroll up and down as you're typing your reply so you can read parts of the comment you're replying to again for reference. I do this all the time, so this feature would make life a lot easier.

Not sure if this should be a core change or an addon? Anyway, would love to see this in the future. Also, I have to say, Vanilla is awesome.

Comments

• Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    this is called threaded comments, it would probably be easier to use another forum software that already has this built in. wordpress is one (i know what your thinking, it's not a forum, but it can be customized to be one)
  • Options
    Actually, I'm not talking about threaded comments per se. Comments would be displayed as they are currently in Vanilla; however, you would have the option to click "reply" on whatever post you want to reply to, and have the comment box appear directly underneath it. This allows you to see exactly what you're responding to without having to constantly scroll up and down (and the more posts that have been made since the post you are replying to, the more scrolling you have to do), which you have to do currently because the comment box is only ever shown at the very bottom of the page.

Hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    You could always quote it and delete the quote when you have finished the reply.
  • Options
    this is called threaded comments, it would probably be easier to use another forum software that already has this built in. wordpress is one (i know what your thinking, it's not a forum, but it can be customized to be one)
    BBpress?