Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.13 Released - upgrade complaints

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a community of over 200,000 registered users to smf, but I switch to vanilla 1 week ago.

Today is my first update, but I would like to have an upgrade package only, as does smf, it is easier, I have modified many files and now I have to do it again with this new version because I have no idea that files you modified.

I only speak French I am using the google translator, the translation is bad, but I hope you understand.

Example vanilla 2.0.13

Modified files

index.php

folder/file.php

blabla/file.php

etc..

is much easier to update that way. Please I want to know which files you changed the version 2.0.12 to version 2.0.13

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• onizukaonizuka New
    edited October 2010
    Too much changes I think.
    Edit: 74 files updated, 9 deleted, 36 added
  • edited October 2010
    Too much changes I think.
    Edit: 74 files updated, 9 deleted, 36 added

Updates seem very disorganized compared to SMF, the language files are a mess, I think it was a mistake to switch to vanilla, I love the design and original, but the update is a disorder :S

example:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

only modified files in the new version

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2010
    If you're modifying core files, you're doing it wrong. Vanilla is designed such that you should never need to do that. Everything can be done via themes, language packs, and plugins.

http://vanillaforums.org/page/converting-locales
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/localedeveloper-plugin
  • I changed the language of the plugins .....
    It is impossible to change the language of some plugings, such as "flag" And I have to modify files
  • If you're modifying core files, you're doing it wrong. Vanilla is designed such that you should never need to do that. Everything can be done via themes, language packs, and plugins.
    Really? I had to modify the core to disable mentions and the asking of the user's gender at signup, as well as a few other things that I didn't see any config options for.

I think usuario123's idea is a good one.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2010
    @shmizzle Turning off something in core can be done by adding a config option if one doesn't exist. That'd be the best way to disable mentions. I'll try to get that into 2.0.14.

Removing gender from the signup should be able to be accomplished with a theme; I don't believe that's a required field so you could just remove it from the form.
  • edited October 2010
    @lincoln

example

"It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!"

lenguaje

$Definition['It looks like you\'re new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!'] = 'blablablablablabla'; , does not work!!!!!!

It is not possible to translate all

and

The welcome e-mail does not arrive, when a new user registers
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
  • moensmoens New
    edited October 2010
    All software suffers from these problems to some degree. SMF is one of my favorites too, but I also am switching to Vanilla because it seems equally capable and seems to be in a phase of more robust development.... remember when [Unknown] was still on the SMF team? Yeah... so...

Anyway... my answer is "learn git"... it makes managing custom changes and updates so much easier.

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~cduan/technical/git/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkgSjRnay4 ^^-- bad sound, great content!
  • Really? I had to modify the core to disable mentions and the asking of the user's gender at signup, as well as a few other things that I didn't see any config options for.

I think usuario123's idea is a good one.
    oO Mentions never worked for me. How is that possible ^^'?
  • As the post title is 'Upgrade complaints', I'd like to add (again) that one of the most irritating and time-wasting things is having to upgrade the whole thing every time! This is happening a lot, as Vanilla 2 is still a baby.

There must be an easy way to add only changed files to a new release zip.

Oh, and another thing which is a bit annoying on Vista is that many Mac compressed files give error messages about encrypted data not being copyable, and also contain extra files which aren't needed on Windows. @Tim, @Lincoln..?
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    If your talking about the _MACOSX folder that it's because the compressed folder was made on mac

upgrading is pretty easy and straightforward... if you follow the upgrading tips once or twice, it's just the same quick procedure each time.

but if upgrading IS that much of a hassle to you then I would recommend signing up for a managed forum from Vanilla instead! automatic upgrades happen in the background, so your always using the latest version and the latest features!
  • AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    @Raize, no matter how easy, an automated upgrade will be cool and help get more adopters of Vanilla. Almost all other forum software has one. Anyway, I had started to build one, but @Tim mentioned in one thread it would be released in the near future. I stopped working on it because I figured a Vanilla Team add-on will get more support, then the bandwidth I have.
  • @Raize; The issue is that I have a few forums created using Vanilla 2, and am creating more. Uploading 5mb to each one, usually via mobile 'broadband' on a laptop, is a bit of a pain. Google realised that people were dropping off the numbers upgrading Chrome because they were sick of the time lag in doing so. They now have a much smaller upgrade package, albeit done by a utility. There are no doubt Freeware utils which will package only changed files, which to download and re-upload to user servers would be vastly quicker. It doesn't need to be automated in my opinion, just smaller!
  • @Raize; The issue is that I have a few forums created using Vanilla 2, and am creating more. Uploading 5mb to each one, usually via mobile 'broadband' on a laptop, is a bit of a pain. Google realised that people were dropping off the numbers upgrading Chrome because they were sick of the time lag in doing so. They now have a much smaller upgrade package, albeit done by a utility. There are no doubt Freeware utils which will package only changed files, which to download and re-upload to user servers would be vastly quicker. It doesn't need to be automated in my opinion, just smaller!
    +1 totally agree