Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

File-Upload _ C:\fakepath\ ?

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

Some people, including me, experience the issue that the upload doesn't work, because the progress bar keeps loading.

To the left of the progress bar appears "only" in Chrome:
C:\fakepath\filename.jpg ...

"fakepath ?" whats happening here.

Upload doesn't work and progress bar keeps loading under Safari, Chrome, Firefox.

Thanx for help!
  • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Best Answer

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    However, this was fixed in the latest FileUpload. Get 1.4, your fakepath problems will be over.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• search the code of FileUpload

seems like this is a unerased snippet of development process. May this should replace anything so the script could be tested or something.

I think it might be helpful to have the source of that string - so search for "fakepath" in the add-on files
  • no - nothing on the code of the plugin...
  • if I can trust my windows search, then in my whole vanilla2 directory there is no 'fakepath' - may this is from Chrome?!

a search in the web let me guess this comes from your browser.
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Thank you vegano for your feedback. Yeah seems like coming from chrome.

Does anyone have an idea how to conquer that upload problem?
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
    Without reading that yet, afaik its a chrome security thing. Let me read.

Answer ✓
    However, this was fixed in the latest FileUpload. Get 1.4, your fakepath problems will be over.

• This is actually a "standard", HTML 5 standard specifically:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/number-state.html#file-upload-state

"For historical reasons, the value IDL attribute prefixes the filename with the string "C:\fakepath\". Some legacy user agents actually included the full path (which was a security vulnerability). As a result of this, obtaining the filename from the value IDL attribute in a backwards-compatible way is non-trivial. (...)"
  • I am using google chrome, and I got this same error - no "fakepath" in my code, but I am getting "C:\fakepath\filename.jpg", and I'm on a Mac.. so it seems like something in Chrome, to me.