Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.14 Released

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Vanilla 2.0.14 has been released!
This is primarily a feature release, containing our new Social Connect functionality, but also includes some minor bugfixes for issues in 2.0.13.

v2.0.14 Changes

1. Added Social Connect authenticators
    • Facebook Connect
    • Twitter Connect
    • Google SignIn
    • OpenID
  2. Improved/added tons of code documentation (thanks @Lincoln!)
  3. Fixed Notifications - no longer receive multiple notifications for one real event
  4. Fixed bugs with embedvanilla
  5. Fixed bugs with Mobile and cleaned up some CSS
  6. Fixed bug where the "new" indicator on discussions would sometimes not display
  7. New core plugin: CLEditor! (thanks @rak!)
  8. New core plugin: Emotify!

Keeping track of new releases

You can follow our releases by pointing your favorite RSS reader at:
http://www.vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core/follow.rss
This feed will automatically update whenever we release a new version of Vanilla Core.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can remove the following line from your conf/config.php file:
$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading Vanilla 2.0 Forums

1. Sign into your existing forum with the user that was created when you FIRST INSTALLED Vanilla (the root admin user)
  2. Back up your database.
  3. Back up all of your existing files.
  4. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  5. Make sure the conf/config.php from your old version has been copied over to the new version.
  6. Delete all *.ini files in your cache/ folder
  7. Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourforum.com/utility/structure
  8. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to run the update scripts.
  9. Navigate to your forum and test away!
For more help with upgrading, check out the Upgrading Tips and Tricks thread.

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

See the add on page for additional instructions.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Other miscellany:
    - Fixes https issues for assets and images.
    - Fixes Close/Announce checkboxes not being able to be unchecked in Edit Discussion form
    - Adds BeforeDiscussionPreview hook
    - Allows 'mentions' for 1- and 2-character names
    - Fixes # of discussions in category after a discussion is moved out of it
  • Link in your RSS leads to 404 not found error (http://www.vanillaforums.org/addons/addon/vanilla-core-2.0.14).
  • Thanks for the update!

@Lincoln Is the dismiss problem solved? Refering to http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/131137/#Comment_131137 was your patch accepted?
  • Hi, I just downloaded the newest version 2.0.14 and followed instructions to set up a forum online. I created the database, created a user, uploaded the vanilla directory, and tried to log in to the console but got the following error message:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting '(' in /www/htdocs/gettin/vanilla/bootstrap.php on line 64

Help!
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    @MartyKirkman, you could be using php 4 which isn't supported.
  • When I upgraded, my forum wouldn't work because the "compile" folder was missing from the "Smarty" directory. Once I added that back everything works.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    When I upgraded, my forum wouldn't work because the "compile" folder was missing from the "Smarty" directory. Once I added that back everything works.
    We keep having issues with this folder, but I think I've finally cracked it. Sorry for the trouble :/

• Notifications for the first new message in a Conversation are still not fixed, this is a pretty big issue for any forum where users send messages to each other.
    Notifications for the first new message in a Conversation are still not fixed, this is a pretty big issue for any forum where users send messages to each other.
    @Mark

• thread here for more details from about a month ago.

Just ran the same tests today with the same results.
  • @Todd....Thanks. I am trying to verify the version but am having trouble finding where this information is. I did get a step further by disabling error messages on my TuxTools2 console. It then loaded the Vanilla console with the message that three of the folders (Cache, Conf & Uploads) had incorrect settings. I was able to correct the latter two, but every setting except one did not work for the Cache folder. When I set to read,write,executable (777) I got a fatal error. On tux tools it seems that the PHP parsing is set for version 5. That to me would imply that I have 5 or better, but I still cannot see where they supply the version number. Here is the fatal error message:

The error occurred on or near: /www/htdocs/gettin/vanilla/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.php

285:

286: // Make sure the cache folder is writeable

287: if (!$PermissionProblem) {

288: if (!file_exists(PATH_CACHE.DS.'Smarty')) mkdir(PATH_CACHE.DS.'Smarty');

289: if (!file_exists(PATH_CACHE.DS.'Smarty'.DS.'cache')) mkdir(PATH_CACHE.DS.'Smarty'.DS.'cache');

290: if (!file_exists(PATH_CACHE.DS.'Smarty'.DS.'compile')) mkdir(PATH_CACHE.DS.'Smarty'.DS.'compile');

291: }

292:

293: return $this->Form->ErrorCount() == 0 ? TRUE : FALSE;

Line 289 was highlighted. Thanks for your help!
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @remouk No, there in fact *is* a major performance issue I was missing. I submitted another try though. It's definitely in the spotlight and getting attention.
  • :( I'm still a sad panda to see that the Android User Agent issue still hasn't been fixed. I hate modifying Core Vanilla files.
  • candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Social Connect authenticators added?!? Wow!!!

But I have a doubt! I've registered myself on the forum with a nickname (and I connect with email+password): now can I login with my Facebook account (email+password)? But how would I appear on the board? With the nickname (Vanilla registration) or Name&Surname (Facebook one)?

Hope did you understand... :/
  • The same question about GoogleSignIn.
    It uses your email address to detect an existing user. If it finds a common existing email address, you'll be prompted for a password (your existing user password). If not, it will make a new user for you.

:( I'm still a sad panda to see that the Android User Agent issue still hasn't been fixed. I hate modifying Core Vanilla files.
    It is in unstable and will be in core for the next release.

• @Tim, then bug 625 is valid.
    It is valid. It is simply a case of Todd needing to code those plugins to properly respect the current signup mode.