Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Plugin Release] EMailSubscription

Comments

• @cdavid, thanks a lot. I have deleted those entries. NO issue since the change.
  • Great plugin.

However, I'd like to see these options moved into the [My Preferences] link in one's profile that already manages emails for notifications.

Is that not possible to hook? By having this out as a new item it makes the other stuff harder to find and way less obvious.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hmm, I'm not so sure this can be done (easily)... I will look into it though.

/cd
  • Brilliant thanks a lot!
  • Yes, that is almost what I meant. A user should only be allowed to subscribe for the Categories that they have permission for, and the Categories that they haven't got permission for should not be visible on the list either.

Have a good time!
    Hi cdavid,

I wonder if you had a chance to look at implementing this yet? It causes a problem because members who do not have the permission to view a category still receive an email for the new post which I do not think should happen. If they don't have permission to "view" then they should not receive an email notification for that category. At least it appears that way on my testuser account.

Thanks!

• cd,
    Thanks for this fantastic plugin! I came across an issue and wondered if you might suggest a quick fix/addition to the default script:
    For users who are are set to a specific role (i.e. cannot view/post to a certain category), they can still go to their preferences page and see a checkbox next to all of the categories, even if they can't view some of them :) I noticed in the script around line 109 it does a query for basically all categories - any way to check here what categories the user can view and only show checkboxes for those categories? I'm not totally comfortable coding in php - any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for the great work!
  • is this diffrent from "auto bookmark the discussion when i post a comment"? im looking for this kind of feature, not sure if this plugin does it. thanks
  • Hey, guys, I am back now after some exhausting finals and a short break. I will take a look at both @Dan Devine and @johngoodell issues.

@aidster this does this too ...
    //Also bookmark the discussion for all those users $Sender->DiscussionModel->BookmarkDiscussion( $DiscussionID, $User[0], $Discussion = NULL );

/cd
  • edited January 2011
    Hi there. I'm no programmer. I installed the plugin and have tried to get emails by using a "local email server" (the Vanilla option if you don't use an SMTP) and also by using an SMTP relay. While using the Vanilla option I never receive an email and if using a gmail SMTP I always get a page long error. Can someone please help me?
    I have used gmail smtp and also my own private ISP smtp that I *definitely* know the way around and it is still not working. Have tried all variations of SMTP ports and security.

Here is the error I get when using SMTP:

SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host. exception 'Exception' with message 'SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.' in /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/library/core/class.email.php:201 Stack trace: #0 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/plugins/EMailSubscribe/default.php(73): Gdn_Email->Send() #1 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(353): EMailSubscribe->PostController_AfterDiscussionSave_Handler(Object(PostController), Array, 'postcontroller_...') #2 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(306): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandler(Object(PostController), 'PostController', 'AfterDiscussion...', 'Handler') #3 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php(122): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandlers(Object(PostController), 'PostController', 'AfterDiscussion...') #4 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.postcontroller.php(174): Gdn_Pluggable->FireEvent('AfterDiscussion...') #5 [internal function]: PostController->Discussion() #6 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(297): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 /home/content/a/m/m/ammaga/html/forum/index.php(38): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch() #8 {main}
  • Hey, guys, I am back now after some exhausting finals and a short break. I will take a look at both @Dan Devine and @johngoodell issues.

@aidster this does this too ...
    //Also bookmark the discussion for all those users $Sender->DiscussionModel->BookmarkDiscussion( $DiscussionID, $User[0], $Discussion = NULL );

/cd
    Hi /cd,

Just a quick note that there is still an interest in a modification of this plugin that supports roles.

Dan

• Yes, i know, it's on my agenda, will take a look at it most likely after Wednesday, when I have a project deadline.

/cd
  • cdavid,

Many thanks for looking into this - let me know if you need help testing and/or clarifying examples I've come across...

John
  • So, I'm done with modifications, I wanted to upload, but it doesn't work, so ... keep an eye on this and as soon as this is done, I will upload the new version: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14581/plugin-upload-new-version-broken

/cd
  • So, I'm done with modifications, I wanted to upload, but it doesn't work, so ... keep an eye on this and as soon as this is done, I will upload the new version: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14581/plugin-upload-new-version-broken

/cd
    Can you share any info on what changed in your latest release while we are waiting for the upload fix????

Thanks, looking forward to trying it!

Dan

• cdavidcdavid New
    edited January 2011
    What I fixed is that users can now subscribe only to categories for which they have a "View" permission.

/cd
  • What I fixed is that users can now subscribe only to categories for which they have a "View" permission.

/cd
    Great! I was hoping you were going to say that! Looking forward to seeing it. That was the only thing I saw that was lacking.

Thanks again.

Dan

• Upload issue got fixed, new version is out. Hit me with bugs (for the next 24h, after that I will be away for 1 week).

/cd
  • Thank you for this.
    Have Just installed the new plugin and got a new problem. If I want to subscribe to all discussions I can not choose this, or I can not see that I have chosen this. The checkmark is not visible so I have to check all categories?
    uses 2.0.14

/susslet
  • So, 1) do you have a box with "Subscribe to all"? 2) can you check it? 3) can you try to update to the latest version and tell me if it works? 4) if not, can you please install firebug for firefox, turn it on for the profile page (the bug has to be yellow) by clicking on it, activate the Script and Console tabs (click on the arrow by their name and then click "Enable"), refresh the page and look if there is any error appearing in Console when you click the "Email Subscription" link and if you check the box?

/cd
  • I have this problem also with the latest version. The 'subscribe to all' that was previously enforced on all users was removed so nobody received email notifications. as the site administrator (and therefore with full permissions to all categories - which i did check to confirm) I could not re-tick this option even for myself.