Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[CLEditor jQuery WYSIWYG addon] IE uses paragraph tags, firefox uses br tags

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I just noticed that IE is converting converting new lines to <p></p> whereas firefox is using <br /> tags for new lines.

IE post: This uses <p></p>
Firefox post: This uses <br />

In the first example with the p tags, it's placing new lines between the <p></p> tags, so when it finally gets to the output stage and renders, it's ALSO running the nl2br() function...giving me extra <br /> tags between paragraphs.

Javascript is my kryptonite...so unfortunately, looking @ the cleditor js only makes my eyes glaze over. But is there any way to have the same behavior with all browsers? Ideally, I'd prefer all <p></p> tags...but only if it doesn't also run nl2br between paragraphs on output.

Comments

• Safari and Chrome seems like converting to <div>...</div> tags for new lines.
    I don't know in Opera but It's enough for a messing up markup.
  • up, anyone with a solution on this? <p> ans <br> are added on IE. so extra space appears, and it's not sexy
  • Hi isilmerel, I have same problem.
    When user submit text in firefox its works well with nl2br, but when submit text from IE its not. Do you know why?
    Thanks in advance,
    Yosef
  • Nope. I don't.
  • Any progress on this? As noted, earlier Safari uses divs. It would be nice to simply use paragraph tags since most often, that's what the context actually is.
  • So it looks like it's an issue with the actual CLEditor jQuery plugin…

http://groups.google.com/group/cleditor/browse_thread/thread/43925df2a11bf67e/77e178628a97e934

That was posted shortly after releasing the current version (1.3.0) on October 12, 2010. Not sure when an update can be expected.