Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.17 Released

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited May 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Vanilla 2.0.17 has been released!
This is a feature release which also contains a number of bugfixes for issues in the 2.0.x family. You can read a bit more about these features on the blog.

New Features

1. Statistics! Vanilla now ships with a powerful built-in statistics / analytics tool. We've written an in-depth blog post about this new feature, explaining how it works and what you need to know.
  2. Homepage! The Homepage feature allows you to change what people see when they land on your site.
  3. Wordpress Plugins! We have developed a suite of WordPress plugins and widgets to help you better integrate Vanilla Forums with WordPress.
  4. Revamped Categories! We have completely overhauled the Categories feature to help you better manage your discussions and to provide better support for bigger forums with more Categories.
  5. Utility/Update! We've added a new way for the forum's database structure to be updated after upgrades. The path '/utility/update' is now accessible to any user and will automatically execute all pending structure changes. The return is always simply 'Success' and no database information is ever exposed. This allows plugins to manually update the structure if needed. This method is throttled and will silently fail if called too often.

Bug Fixes / Changes

1. Fixed bug where plugins and themes could fail to enable due to extra whitespace.
  2. Fixed bug where search results were not properly sorted by date after relevance.
  3. Fixed bug where links in profile status cause the profile to clear when clicked.
  4. Fixed bug where signing in from the comment form button would not refresh the page.
  5. Fixed bug where administrators could not change user's picture without 404 errors.
  6. Fixed bug where stack trace would display when testing plugins, even if not in DEBUG mode.
  7. Fixed bug where signin would not properly redirect if javascript was disabled.
  8. Fixed bug where editing a role was erroneously selecting the default permission in the UI when editing.
  9. Fixed bug where discussion autorefresh would sometimes disable itself.
  10. Fixed bug where when markdown is enabled urls would not get auto-converted to clickable links.
  11. Fixed bugs in OpenID and GoogleSignIn where redirect targets were not getting sent to the signin.
  12. Fixed bug where mobile theme would sometimes display incorrect "last comment date".
  13. Optimized Announced Discussions query to improve performance.

Build History

• 2.0.17.1 - Fixed bug where analytics hooked before Garden.Installed=true, causing a fatal error on install
  • 2.0.17.2 - Fixed bug where analytics registration would occur repeatedly if config file was read-only
  • 2.0.17.3 - Repackaged distribution without OS-Specific meta data, and fixed ajax information exposure bug
  • 2.0.17.4 - Fixed problem with dashboard structure file where Activity and Profile permissions were not granted automatically on fresh install
  • 2.0.17.5 - Fixed problem with category permissions where some configurations would result in too restrictive defaults
  • 2.0.17.6 - [SECURITY] Fixed potential querystring XSS and cookie HMAC Timing vulnerabilities in core
  • 2.0.17.7 - Updated analytics client and server software to fix a bug in stats transmission and rendering
  • 2.0.17.8 - Fixed a packaging problem that caused the contents of index.php to be duplicated
  • 2.0.17.9 - [SECURITY] Fixed cookie theft vulnerability.
  • 2.0.17.10 - [SECURITY] Fixed Facebook, Twitter, and Embed plugins' access control.

Keeping track of new releases

You can follow our releases by pointing your favorite RSS reader at:
http://www.vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core/follow.rss
This feed will automatically update whenever we release a new version of Vanilla Core.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can remove the following line from your conf/config.php file:
$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading Vanilla 2.0 Forums

1. Sign into your existing forum with the user that was created when you FIRST INSTALLED Vanilla (the root admin user)
  2. Back up your database.
  3. Back up all of your existing files.
  4. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  5. Make sure the conf/config.php from your old version has been copied over to the new version.
  6. Delete all *.ini files in your cache/ folder
  7. CHANGED STEP! Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourforum.com/utility/update (or www.yourforum.com?p=/utility/structure)
  8. Navigate to your forum and test away!
For more help with upgrading, check out the Upgrade Documentation and the Upgrading Tips and Tricks thread.

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

See the add on page for additional instructions.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Tagged:

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited March 2011
    Miguel

• Woohoo! I'm stoked to see the Stats addition. I'm just hoping the Discussions update doesn't invalidate the work I've done on my custom plugin. :)
  • Looks like Minify is working again. Great release!
  • In my case nested categories were messed up after updating. This required deleting the parent categories and moving the sub categories back to their replacements to get the nested structure functioning properly.

Cheers
  • It also looks like "header" categories are not handled sanely in that they appear clickable but will take you to an empty page instead of listing sub-categories.
  • there is no .zip extension on the file i downloaded btw. Adding one manually made it usable. Not everyone is going to know to do this.
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    I am experiencing the same "issue" as @Rajio
    My Specs: Safari 5.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.6
  • edited January 2011
    never mind
    @Rajio @oliverraduner Thanks for the heads up. We're fixing that right now :)

@Cablespider Nice site btw, I love the banner.

there is no .zip extension on the file i downloaded btw. Adding one manually made it usable. Not everyone is going to know to do this.
    I am experiencing the same "issue" as @Rajio
    My Specs: Safari 5.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.6
    This has been fixed. Thanks again for the report!

• edited January 2011
    Thanks, Tim. All I did was tweak it out. Zeaks gets the credit for creating that beauty.

I noticed in the new Wordpress pack, the sso plugin is commented out. That means we still need the standalone Wordpress proxy plugin, right? As for the embed portion, we no longer need the standalone plugin?
  • 테스트입력
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    damn i'm loving this forum more and more! i super like the new category feature. thanks Tim! :) cheers!
    damn i'm loving this forum more and more! i super like the new category feature. thanks Tim! :) cheers!
    Categories credit is entirely due to @Mark and @Todd. I'm just the messenger for that one ;) But thanks!

• StashStash
    edited January 2011
    Looking forward to checking this new release out, it looks like V2 is really coming into its own :)

But come on, including __MACOSX directories in the release ZIP file just makes you look like amateurs! Meant with love...
  • Yeah, had to do rm -rf on those after unzipping the wget files.
    edited January 2011
    Looking forward to checking this new release out, it looks like V2 is really coming into its own :)

But come on, including __MACOSX directories in the release ZIP file just makes you look like amateurs! Meant with love...
    Thanks, its fixed.

• It would be also great to unify login processes.

There is for example in the panel a sign in button with a nice greybox/lightboxish login popup, but a user for example without permission to view specific areas on the forums gets the separate sign-in form on a completely different page.
  • keeshakeesha
    edited January 2011
    ps: i've noticed (for now) that admin.css in my custom theme folder is no longer effective.

is there something special with the new vanilla release i need to consider?

@digibomb maybe?
This discussion has been closed.