Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2 Upgrading Tips

Comments

• forgot to login with the #1 account before upgrading is there anyway I can change the login so I can run utility.structure?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Just hit /utility/upgrade once and everything will work.
  • Awesome thanks @lincoln that worked. Only remaining problem I have is getting permission problem messages saying "you dont have permission to do that" when clicking on activity or anyones user profile link.
  • judgejjudgej
    edited January 2011

Unknown column 'c.TreeRight' in 'field list'
    That's nothing to do with the ReplyTo plugin, is it?

Edit: ah, no, it looks like categories have gone truly hierarchical?

• That's nothing to do with the ReplyTo plugin, is it?
    Edit: ah, no, it looks like categories have gone truly hierarchical?
    What's weird is that I can switch back to my backup files from the earlier version of Vanilla and the site works fine (obviously, the database hasn't been touched yet). I DO have some plugins. Should I disable plugins and proceed? Any idea what I've stumbled into here?
  • judgejjudgej
    edited January 2011
    It looks like the new Vanilla (v2.0.17) needs to create additional columns on the categories table in order to be able to handle fully hierarchical categories. Until those columns are created (using /utility/upgrade presumably) then you will get the errors that you are seeing.

I would go ahead and run the upgrade - perhaps leaving the plugins all enabled. However, do back up the database first, in case you need to repeat the upgrade with the plugins disabled.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @dejitaru There is a new permission for that. Adjust your Roles & Permissions.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Simanek That's the SQL error you'll get until you've run /utility/upgrade
  • @Lincoln and @judgej: Thanks for the feedback guys. What you say makes sense, but when I try to go to /utility/upgrade I get a 500 error. Is there another way to get to the upgrade page? Do I need to tweak my htaccess file or something?
  • Update: So I finally went back to just the root of my site to see what error would come up after several days of just leaving the site be. To my surprise the login page came up. I logged in and the site seems to be working fine. The footer in the Dashboard page indicates that I'm running 2.0.17. I DID have to change my .htaccess file so the "RewriteBase /" was uncommented. Now 500 errors are gone, the site is working. However, I never saw the "upgrade" page or any feedback about that change so I'm a little nervous. If I try to go to "/utility/upgrade" now all I get is the Vanilla Page Not Found page. Did the db upgrade happen? I can only guess that the rewrite line was my problem.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Do you have RewriteUrls enabled for 'pretty' URLs? That's the usual reason for that not working. Copy the 'RewriteUrls' setting from config-defaults.php into your config.php file and set it to true. Then try again.
  • @dejitaru There is a new permission for that. Adjust your Roles & Permissions.
    I'm getting the same error too :/ Can't figure out which permission I should set. @Lincoln: do you know specifically what has to be set for that? As as admin, I can look at all the profiles, but none of my users can look at anyone else's or their own.
  • edited January 2011
    There isnt anything else to check in for admins.Im logged in as an administrator. I can log in with the #1 account and everything works fine but when I log in with any other account that has administrator rights I still get the permission errors. All boxes are checked in roles and permissions for the admin group. Is there something im not seeing? Also comments arent allowed when posting via mobile site for everyone except #1 account. I started discussion as to not clutter up this thread so you can delete these posts.
  • Do you have RewriteUrls enabled for 'pretty' URLs? That's the usual reason for that not working. Copy the 'RewriteUrls' setting from config-defaults.php into your config.php file and set it to true. Then try again.
    Okay. I didn't know about that configuration. /utility/upgrade still brought up a Page Not Found, but I went to /utility/structure and clicked the "Run structure & Data Scripts" and those were applied, I guess.

Considering that the RewriteUrls isn't a given, should the upgrade instructions provided here explain that? I have a feeling that this config setting would have saved me and all of you a lot of trouble.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @dejitaru @vanik3 There is a bug in the currently published version available for download. It prevents those permissions from being created. I'll more than likely be publishing a new minor version later today containing that fix and several others.

Sorry for the trouble!

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• edited January 2011
    I've upgraded from 2.0.17.3 to 2.0.17.6 (preserved the necessary files/folders and copied over new package). Trying /utility/update gives me a 404. There is currently only one user and I'm logged in (though I have changed it from admin to another name; would that not count as user #1? Or, how can I check the user number ID?). Is /utility/update and add-on I need to "install"? Any advice?

OK, "/?p=/utility/structure" did the trick!
  • update utility works well.
    I would like to know after owerwriting all files with new updated files,how will I keep formatting of my .css files?
  • Upon upgrading to 2.0.17.9 & following tips as per here http://www.vanillaforums.org/discussion/12740/vanilla-2-upgrading-tips and this thread I get the following

/utility/structure to works

utility/update says BONK

utility/upgrade gives me a 404

is this to be expected?
  • Is it bad if I run /utility/update more than once?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Don't think so. I did it quite a few times when upgrading from beta to 2.0.16 with no adverse effect.
This discussion has been closed.