Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to make a Locale for an Addon?

renerene New
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I would like to translate some of the addons I use. It seems there is a non documented way to do this. I tried different approaches, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me where to find the documentation for this? Or does anyone know how to do it?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I find the Baseline Locale by Todd useful for this:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/baseline-locale

Here is a documentation for it aswell:

http://vanillaforums.org/page/localization#Baseline
  • renerene New
    edited February 2011
    @Donutman: The Baseline locale is for the translation of the whole vanilla forum and is well documented. I don't think it would be a good idea to add translations for all addons in the baseline locale because the number of addons is always growing.

I've seen some addons (plugins) with their own little locales, but I couldn't replicate them for my other addons.

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    @rene You can get an idea on this topic from my Plugin "Maintenance Mode" - I sticked to the most recent Vanilla standards for adding plugin-related locales.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited February 2011
    Look in the docs here. I added a section called "Where to Put Locale Files in Addons."
  • @oliverraduner: Yes! I thought i'd seen it somewhere... but I couldn't find it :)

@Todd: Super, thanks! Just what I was looking for :)

Btw, it would be great for addon developers if they could download and use a base folder structure to work from with all folders predefined.
    If you haven't already, there is an example plugin here.
  • @Todd: Yeah, I know. But I'ts not complete. It doesn't include the complete folder structure for an addon. For example: there is no locale folder. I've searched the documentation for the complete default folder/file structure for an addon, but couldn't find it.

I think it would be great stimulant for new developers if this was standardized. But I know documentation is a lot of work, so thanks for the work you did already! :)
    Thanks for the comments @rene. Documentation something we are currently not good and and are working to improve.

I'll add a locale folder to the example plugin at least.
  • A heads-up for people who want to translate some existing plugins: I've translated the FileUpload plugin to dutch using the method described above but found out that I had to delete the ini files in my cache folder before I could see any of my translations.