Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to remove appending /discussion/ in URL's ?

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I have just installed a forum at my blog and everything is working fine. Thanks to you guys for making such a defect free product.

I have made a sample post and it is available athttp://www.gtricks.com/forum/discussion/1/remove-unwanted-websites-from-google-search-results#Item_1

Now, since my forum is at gtricks.com/forum then what discussion is being appended in URL. Its useless and making it pretty large, which the Big Daddy G hates.

How can I remove is automatic appending of 'discussion' in URL's.

They are pretty URLS but lengthy aint pretty.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• I'm not sure you can remove the discussion portion of the URL. That is part of how Vanilla knows what the user is attempting to look at. It breaks down the URL to read "I am looking for discussion number 1."
  • Maybe, just maybe you can do it with a rewrite rule, but that discussion portion is very important.
    Vanilla has "applications" and "controllers". Discussion is a controller within the application. The controller name is retrieved from the URL

• To be short, it is very hard.
    Amazing amounts of code use hard coded 'discussion' or 'discussions' inside.
    Plus, as they said, it is name for model/view/controller triplet.

This must be fixed, of course, as many forums do not use such terms in their forum and this is misleading to have them in URL in this case.
  • aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for your responses.

So, until awesome Vanilla team gets some wordaround to remove this misleading term, I will leave it as it is :)

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
    Well, another workaround to shave shorter URL's is to have Vanilla Forum at sub-domain rather at sub-directory level.

Can anyone comment, which is better? for SEO, general audience usage and for UX?

• I think that it should show the category name instead.
    gtricks.com/forum/GOOGLE/1/remove-unwanted-websites-from-google-search-results