Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Developers docs now available at wiki

edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I added all available developers documentation to

[link removed by Lincoln]

Slightly improved formatting in some places.
Also wiki have link to generated documentation that is also available.
few days ago I also added Git installation for dummies. I hope to expant it soon.

If you want to add information to wiki, send me PM to get edit password.
Tagged:

Comments

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate @tester13 effort to make a unified source for bugs, features and tips in a wiki format.

I urge everyone to participate in vanilla-wiki.info which have a potential to be useful one-stop-shop for developers, designers and webmasters.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @tester13 While it seems likely the Vanilla team would liberally license the documentation, I don't see a license specified and I'm damn sure you didn't ask so that's a massive copyright violation. This is example #284 of you doing everything in the most annoying and unhelpful way possible.
  • @Lincoln

I found threads about documentation license before to be sure (as people asked about this already), so do not accuse me of "massive copyright violation".
    If team wants license to be specified on my pages, I'll add this.
    Original did not have specified license on pages.

I think that you are extremely hard at me, while all I do is trying to help.
    I do not deserve this.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Could you link me to this thread? I'd like to see the licensing info as well.
  • This is one old thread
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14986/vanilla-documentations-license/p1

I did not find the other one yet (may be it had been talk in activity or something), but I am sure that Mark mentioned that license allow you to copy documentation.

Rather than accusing me, I think that we need ask Mark again and clearly state license.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2011
    I simply think you should have done that before copying it.

//edit: I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was stating fact. I'm sure it will end up being fine, but that doesn't excuse how you did it.
  • @Lincoln

May be I should.
    But I did not anticipated such reaction.

I think that we have some bad tension between us. And it isn't good to continue to be affected by it. Let's talk in private to clear this out.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2011
    @tester13 You didn't expect a negative reaction from forking the documentation rather than just posting an addition/change here to be incorporated or asking a staff member for permission to edit it?
  • edited March 2011
    @Lincoln

No I did not.
    And I belive that no one, except you, could expect this.

Vanilla documentation needs to be improved and extended and using forces of many developers and wiki engine is proper way to do so.

It is common for OS projects, so you could try different approaches, different tools.
    Yes, people rarely agree on things, this is why we must talk instead of accusing each other. But Mark position that we need perfect wiki and perfect bug tracker and, as result, do not have both, really hurts project today. And I think that being very smart he understand this.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    And it could be done here with editing the current documentation (just to be in a role that allows it).
  • And it could be done here with editing the current documentation (just to be in a role that allows it).
    May be. But documentation needed reformatting either way.
    And no one want to ask permission to add few examples or fix few errors in text.
    I do not understand why we must hold so hard to documentation current location and engine used.
    For third-party developers it is documentation quality and coverage that matters.
    And it must be our real goal.
  • Other bad practice is that Lincoln started using Sink feature on my topics (it looks like this topic is also Sinked now).
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Because current location is the best one.
    I have never seen anywhere saying that they absolutely want to keep the current engine.
    I've already seen people writing a discussion and I've pm'ed the devs for some modification, and for either of those methods, it was applied.
    Sure it may be cumbersome, so an external wiki may be easier to get new contribution on docs, but it will only be helpful if once the info is compiled, it will be reverted back here. Otherwise, it's mainly just another site as any other one.
  • @luc

As I say, people can not agree on many things. And I do not agree that current location is the best one.
    And I much prefer to talk about this openly rather than see hidden fights under under the carpet.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    I can't fathom why you think that the official vanilla/garden site is not the best location.
  • I think so because I see good approaches used by Vanilla, and very few developers.
    One of the reasons is documentation.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    That doesn't mean that the documentation shouldn't be here.
    What you say is just that docs are lacking, and they already know that, and they would welcome things done to improve that, but asking everybody to ditch the official site and go and use *your* wiki and *your* bug tracker is surely not helping the ecosystem.
    As for the bug tracker, the official devs won't go and look at it, as they already said to use github.
    As for the doc wiki, I guess it's more the way you barge your way in that's the issue, not asking the devs beforehand, and not even proposing to merge things later on, etc...

Basically, since you got into the forum, you do seem to want to help, genuinely, but the way you try to do it, is annoying.
    There's lots of message saying it *should* be this way or that.
    Some other time, things like your small bugs page is indeed really helpful for those encountering those issues, and getting a pretty fast answer that way.
  • @luc

Annoying :-) .
    Generally all changes and ideas originating from others are annoying. Always. :-)

I did not asked to ditch official site. Quite the contrary.
    I asked to make proper bug tracker and proper wiki on original site.
    As far as I remember Mark and Lincoln, core team need some perfect tools that do not exist on this planet yet :-)

Today situation with bug tacker is most annoying making many serious developers who starts to look at this project go away, because no one is able to see real bugs that team are working on, no priority list, no features list, no plans, no assigned tasks, nothign that you expect from any serious project be it OS or closed one.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    tester13 was banned for again linking to his bug tracker in another discussion after being repeatedly told to stop.
This discussion has been closed.