Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Suggestion: Points/User Ranking

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I think a cool feature for a future version of Vanilla or an addon would be a points/ranking system.
Other forum scripts have the ability to set up user titles/ranks based on the amount of posts they have. I think that would be a great addition to Vanilla's functionality.

Another would be some type of karma system - probably better as an addon than a bundled feature. I know there are addons for voting, but I think there should be a system where users receive (or lose) points based on those votes (ex. someone's post gets 150 up votes and 3 down votes, so give them 147 karma points.)

Just a suggestion...I think one or both of those would make a great addition.

By the way, thanks for continuing to develop Vanilla. Awesome software!

Comments

• I'd also love this feature!
  • Bump

Anyone else?
  • aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
    Yes, please include this feature.

Its a powerful way to engage users.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Yep, highly desirable.
  • I'd pay to have this feature.

Even the custom ranks that phpbb3 currently has.
  • This is only one extension that stopping me to use Vanilla in my upcoming project.
  • I'm thinking about developing a Karma/Badges/Reputation system (see this thread). I have plenty of PHP experience but haven't developed Vanilla plugins. If you have any implementation tips, please add to the other thread. Thanks.
  • I to would like a points/rewards based system!
  • http://vanillaforums.org/addon/kudos-plugin
    It's not the same as we talking about.

The main idea of user karma is:

Users can vote for or against discussions, reply's and other users.

So each user will have karma (in future rating) that sum from both votes for discussions, his reply's and other user votes directly for user from whole forum for particular user.

Same time points can be added for starting discussion, etc.

My reason for this plugin is to make forum more user moderated and social. How? Easy!

I want to show on main page only hight rated discussions for last 24 Hrs. If discussion gets a certain amount of votes for it, it automatically going to main page.

This will help show on main page only best topics for 24 Hrs and will motivate users to think before post and will remove crap from new visitors eyes.

For reply's is the same. If user gets a certain amount of votes against I will be able to hide his reply in to spoiler.

If total rating sum for user is in minus (or whatever you define), I will be able to block users from writing comments often than each in 5 minutes and write discussions no often then 1 per day.

In same time users will be able to vote for or against for other users in they're profile page only once in a whole time. And this vote will have most weight.

Meanwhile users will not have unlimited votes. They will have only the actual amount of votes that will be given to them each day depends on they overall rating that will be: points (for/againts) for discussion + points (for/againts) for reply's + points (for/againts) for them in profile page. Maybe there can be other more complicated formula, because you can't compare vote for topic and comment by weight.
  • I'm thinking about developing a Karma/Badges/Reputation system (see this thread). I have plenty of PHP experience but haven't developed Vanilla plugins. If you have any implementation tips, please add to the other thread. Thanks.
    Definitely something I'd be interested in. Keep us posted!
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    I think a cool feature for a future version of Vanilla or an addon would be a points/ranking system.
    Other forum scripts have the ability to set up user titles/ranks based on the amount of posts they have. I think that would be a great addition to Vanilla's functionality.
    im trying to do plugin right now that will replace the post count (Post:x) with stars.

my idea is like
    (range will be defined in dashboard)
    1 - 100 bronze star ★☆☆☆☆
    100 - 500 silver star ★☆☆☆☆
    500 - 1000 or above gold star ★☆☆☆☆

is this something similar to what you mean in the above quote?
  • +1 to the karma plugin. It is a must for a serious forum software.
  • +100 only if I could :)
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@mbforums said:
    bump :)

and your point is what?? for necroposting

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.