Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I move a forum a new directory - or site?

HortonHorton New
edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
How do I move a forum a new directory?
Or change the name of the directory that holds Vanilla?

When I try this I seem to break a database connection.
Is this simply a matter of editing a few PHP files after the move?

Comments

• Nothing should break if you move Vanilla around since it has nothing in the config file regarding the actual path.

/cd
  • That is what I thought but I have tried it a few ways and I get error messages every time
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Delete your ini files from the cache folder.
  • Thanks, Lincoln.
  • Thanks Lincoln - instant fix!
  • deleting *.ini in the cache folder still give me error in homepage target..
    it fixed by overwriting the conf folder, i dont know any idea, which one should it be (replaced) but the important one is, becareful with your config.php
  • how about with vanilla one? Moving the vanilla two directory is easy. What is the trick with field form software?
  • Thanks Lincoln that fixed it.
  • This advice completely broke my forum! Somebody, please help. All I did was move my entire directory to the root and now no links will work.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @lashercorn What broke your site, moving the files or deleting the .ini files? Removing the ini files can't break your site, they're temporary cache files that get re-created as needed.
  • Thanks for the response Lincoln, deleting the .ini files makes the index.php resolve, so that is not the problem. The problem was that after moving the site to the root, none of the links worked any longer. When I tried to move everything back to the original way it was, the links still don't work. Now, all of the link destinations are still in the root even though the entire Vanilla package is inside a directory. Make sense?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Where did the non-working links go? I need examples.
  • edited August 2011
    Lincoln: Thank you for your continued help. Today, I was able to repair my forum by removing the directory information from my .htaccess file. Now, I am not sure if this was a problem unique to GoDaddy hosting or what, but I can tell you for certain, that my links would not work without editing this .htaccess file. It's very important: when you move your forum, don't forget about the old .htaccess file that is there! Make sure it is not directing your visitors to a non-working directory. In my case, it was, and it bonked my entire site.