Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why aren't files uploading?

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
It seems like everyone is having problems getting this 'approved' plugin to work. I installed the 2.0.17 of the forum and 1.5.2 of the file upload plugin. Set the permissions, got the 'real-time' progress bar working, and still nothing. It says it's 100% uploaded, but nothing gets uploaded. No errors - literally NOTHING happens. We need this feature asap! What needs to be done?? It sounds like only a very old version (1.4.4) was working at one time according to the posts, but the one working version is no longer available for download. What version of vanilla is compatible with this plugin?? (Or vice versa??) and where can we access those downloads???
Tagged:

Answers

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    class.fileupload.plugin.php version 1.4.0 can be found here

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/blob/c7f716f15b22cabe681bcf53fb6efb45c8f0c905/plugins/FileUpload/class.fileupload.plugin.php

Nobody knows why older versions were removed.

newest github fixes for latest version 1.5.2 found here

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/FileUpload

class.fileupload.plugin.php version 1.5 can be found here

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/blob/8d3bbe07d721d903fb2da8e405d58f968fb23be2/plugins/FileUpload/class.fileupload.plugin.php

Thats all I can find. It might be easier to simply upgrade your vanilla version.
  • sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    thanks @Camo i am gonna try them and check which one works well for me.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks, but unfortunately neither solution worked (1.4.0 wouldn't even show up on the plugin list). Has anyone been able to get 1.5.2 to work with Vanilla 2.0.17? I really need to get it working or I have to move to phpbb, which i really prefer not to do.
  • Why not just upgrade? Its much easier than install...? :) I understand your frustration though, I really do!

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/17371/vanilla-2.0.18-rc2-released#Item_24

• Upgrade to what? The first install of both were the most recent, stables versions available (2.0.17 and 1.5.2). But the File Upload plugin does not work with it. Previous posters mentioned they only could get it to work with an older version. What are the other options? Has the File Upload 1.5.2 been tested with the unstable release in your link?
  • camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    Yes it works perfectly, Im using it! I have an idea that fileupload plugin v1.5.2 only works with v2.0.18b and above?

Take a look here..(shows attached image inserted full size)

http://www.camosreptiles.com.au/forum/discussion/32/reptile-party-8th-oct-happy-birthday-jaydon#Item_1

• That would be wonderful... I'll give it a try!
  • shanertshanert New
    edited October 2011
    I wan't update my board to a not stable version (just read about the bugs 2.0.18 has) only to get a plugin working that was "approved" for version 2.0.9, that's silly. If nothing changes (fixed plugin or final release of 2.0.18) we have to migrate to another software, that makes me sad :/

So, how much is the "approved" for the plugins really worth in the future? And no responses to related topics from the devs for weeks or months now. Two more points to think about for future decisions.
  • I wan't update my board to a not stable version
    That doesn't make sense. You keep your stable version on your live site and your unstable version of Vanilla on your Development environment. In that development environment you develop your site, you try out things and plugins etc.
    only to get a plugin working that was "approved" for version 2.0.9, that's silly. If nothing changes (fixed plugin or final release of 2.0.18) we have to migrate to another software, that makes me sad
    The final release of 2.0.18 will be on its way. We're on RC stage at the moment.
    As far as the fileupload plugin is concerned: sitting back, hands in the air, crying "fix this plugin please" does not fix any problems with this plugin.
    Once 2.0.18 comes out, there may be time to look at any problems there might be.
    By the way : this isn't the only thread regarding files not uploading, but in the other threads there is an actual error message that can be fixed by users. This thread is just, like I said : sitting back, hands in the air, doing nothing.
    So, how much is the "approved" for the plugins really worth in the future? And no responses to related topics from the devs for weeks or months now. Two more points to think about for future decisions.
    If you want, we can unapprove the fileupload plugin as soon as 2.0.18 comes out and approve the plugin when the new release of the fileupload plugin is released.

Did you ever try to use 2.0.9 with the fileupload plugin? (and then upgrade to 2.0.17)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ... in the other threads there is an actual error message that can be fixed by users. This thread is just, like I said : sitting back, hands in the air, doing nothing.
    So, you say I should backport functions from 2.0.18 that FileUpload is using to 2.0.17? Are you kidding or are you serious?

You can make jokes with your community or you can say something like "we have made a mistake here, will be fixed as soon as possible". But making jokes or just ignore (see all the other threads related to the same problem) your community is not the best way, I think.
  • shanert - i understand what you're saying and empathize with you're frustration... i agree that it shouldn't be approved unless it's been tested properly... and better support should be provided when so many people clearly have had problems with it... Since this is our first time using Vanilla we're not as concerned about using an unstable version (we're not doing an upgrade... we're setting it up from scratch)... and the file upload is a requirement for us... we can't use the software without this capability...

camo - can't thank you enough for directing me to the beta 2.0.18b4 version - i just did a fresh install of it with the file upload plugin 1.5.2 and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! thank you so very much!!! can't tell you how much this helps! you're a life saver!
  • File uploading not working still. I tried both the versions 1.4.4 and 1.5.2, all to no avail. I tried upgrading my vanilla from 2.0.17.10 to 2.0.18.1, but everything crumbled, even to restore my back up files.
  • FileUpload and Vanilla forums are complete SHIT.

I was stoked to find this forum solution and everything seemed fine - But this plugin is absolute crap and has been nothing but a headache.

• @4LDesigns said:

I was stoked to find this forum solution and everything seemed fine - But this plugin is absolute crap and has been nothing but a headache.

Installed this plugin yesterday on someone else's site worked perfectly out of the box.
    Sounds like you need to get someone who is competent to install the forum as well as the plugin for you instead of trying to do it yourself. It could well be beyond your skill level.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:

Installed this plugin yesterday on someone else's site worked perfectly out of the box. Sounds like you need to get someone who is competent to install the forum as well as the plugin for you instead of trying to do it yourself. It could well be beyond your skill level.

That's pretty condescending considering the amount of other people also experiencing problems getting this plugin to work 'out-of-the-box': http://vanillaforums.org/addon/784/fileupload

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

@NicklR

don't jump into a conversation until you read all the comments by @4LDesigns
    and then ask yourself why he got banned. My reply was not to other people it was to him (so don't drag the comment somewhere else). And you are on my do not respond to list for future reference. Especially since you just joined and are probably a sock puppet of @4LDesigns. and perhaps if you are you will be banned shortly.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2012

It is not php's job to control file permissions, any control is supplementary and always privileged.

If you want to do something well do it properly.

grep is your friend.

• Thank you @x00 for a response that actually contributed some information rather than simply talking-down. I will look into this. Cheers.

Peregrine - I'd already read all of the posts by 4LDesigns before 'jumping in' to the conversation, sure I understand why the user was banned - He vented his frustrations a bit too much in his posts, which the admins didn't like. Not sure if the right reaction is to outright ban the frustrated user? Why not just warn him/her and point in the right direction?

However I do understand his frustrations as I am having the exact same problems, as are many other people with this plugin.

As for putting me on your "do not reply to" list... After seeing your reply I can't really say I'm that phased by it if all you're reponses are going to be condescending and contribute nothing to solving the actual problem at hand.

Once again - Thankyou @x00 for a reasonable response.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2012

I think it is more frustrating if you spend time developing something, for people to throw it back in their face an call it crap. When really it is to do with configuration.

The more you give the more people act like they are entitled, such is the way of the world.

Also it is not worth humouring people who tell you they are going to leave.

grep is your friend.