Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] panel at bottom instead of right IE9 v2.0.18b4

camocamo New
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Just looked at forum in IE9 for the first time (i dont use it) and discovered the panel is at the page bottom instead of at the right. Has anyone experienced this or knows of a fix please? Im sure I could use a conditional statement in my themes custom css, but I have no idea what statement that should be, I dont really know much about css in that regard.

I did search but found nothing relevant, cheers

see the problem here (using IE 9 ofcourse)

http://www.camosreptiles.com.au/forum/index.php?p=/

p.s sorry about the extra copy of this question, dont know how it happened.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    M glad i helped you. Please do keep me posted how you solved this out. i am new to Vanilla but i am learning a lot from the discussions here.

Thanks @Camo

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011 Answer ✓
    Hello again @sahotataran , Its Solved! :)
    I investigated the html you referred to and while i did not find malformed or broken elements, I did discover that by moving (div id panel) above (div id content), solved it.
    It seems IE renders float:right , before other elements for some reason, so the panel, being placed after the content div was rendered as such.
    Thankyou so much for your time, patience and polite manner, you were extremely helpful and you have made my day! Thankyou :)

Hopefully somebody experiencing this same issue in the furure, can now find a quick and effective solution by searching here. This is what 'Support' forums are all about!
    Kudos :)
    Answer ✓
    Cheers :)

Answers

• see the problem here (using IE 9 ofcourse)

http://www.camosreptiles.com.au/forum/index.php?p=/

p.s sorry about the extra copy of this question, dont know how it happened.
  • Bump# anyone proficent with css can help here with conditional statements?
  • camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    Time for Bump! Anyone want to take a stab at this?

p.s version 2.0.1.8bRC2
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Your forum looks like you've done some custom theming there. You really should be troubleshooting the css issues yourself.
    edited October 2011
    Seems like you are not closing < div > tags properly.
    you have your #Panel in #Content as IE9 shows me. you should separate them out.
    an easy try - but not sure that it will work - just add a before the start of < div id ="Panel" >

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    I havent played with the base html at all, my theme is all css. Everything displays perfectly in chrome and firefox, i didnt even look at ie till weeks after i made the forum, thats how I discovered it.
    @Todd whenever I troubleshoot anything with vanilla I end up with 5 more issues, no wonder non coders are reluctant! Please feel free to lecture me again and not be helpful.
    @sahotataran Ill try that, thankyou. Edit: its already there, but thanks anyway.
    i know its there but my firebug in IE shows that they are not properly closed. the one you saw may be was for < div class="P" > which is a pager. i think you will have to go through the HTML to match these tags opening and closing. Thank You

and i would like to Join @Todd 's Lecture as well :D

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    I have in default master
    <div id="Body"> <div id="Content"><?php $this->RenderAsset('Content'); ?></div> <div id="Panel"><?php $this->RenderAsset('Panel'); ?></div> </div>

So where is the problem?
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited October 2011
    So where is the problem?
    To really say where the problem lies would be a philosophical and personal answer. You should look for your solution though in this lecture from Todd:
    You really should be troubleshooting the css issues yourself.
    Please feel free to lecture me again and not be helpful.
    Haven't you learned anything from the PM's I sent you?

• Plainly, NO! I dont think anybody learns much from your arrogance, or your vague answers that assume way too much about a users knowledge or ability to learn code.
    As from you default master @camo it looks to me that you have added some other stuff in CONTENT - as i see in your < div id="content" > you have
    1. Discussions
    2. Pager
    3. Snakebytes.tv
    4. Rss Powered by Rssinclude.com
    5. Facebook box
    6. Visitors last 5 mins

if i am not wrong then one of these tags is not closed properly that is causing the problem.

as per my experience mozilla, chrome and IE have different ways of rendering HTML

eg. < p > < a href="#" > Read More.... < /a >
    and < p > < a href="#" > Read More.... < /a > < /p >
    will be rendered differently my browsers and IE being strict to these (note i didnt close < p> tag in first link)
    and it gets more complex when you have HTML above and below these

so i think its going to be hard to find the error out.

if you are adding 3, 4, 5, 6 through a plugin then i would suggest disabling the plugin and checking out if its because of them. else will have to find out some other solution

Thanks

• Thankyou @sahotataran , This is helpful, direct and to the point, I appreciate that.
    You are correct, though 3.4.5&6 are not using a plugin, I may have made an error as you suggest. Atleast now I know where to look. I will report back If I can successfully correct this. Thankyou again. Mr Underdog could learn something from you! :)
    Answer ✓
    M glad i helped you. Please do keep me posted how you solved this out. i am new to Vanilla but i am learning a lot from the discussions here.

Thanks @Camo

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011 Answer ✓
    Hello again @sahotataran , Its Solved! :)
    I investigated the html you referred to and while i did not find malformed or broken elements, I did discover that by moving (div id panel) above (div id content), solved it.
    It seems IE renders float:right , before other elements for some reason, so the panel, being placed after the content div was rendered as such.
    Thankyou so much for your time, patience and polite manner, you were extremely helpful and you have made my day! Thankyou :)

Hopefully somebody experiencing this same issue in the furure, can now find a quick and effective solution by searching here. This is what 'Support' forums are all about!
    Kudos :)
    Answer ✓
    Cheers :)