Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is there a way for the output to include an URL to the original source?*

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a way for the output to include an URL to the original source? Any code I can add to make this happen? @Tim

Answers

• edited August 2011
    Hey @Tim,
    I'm struggling with how to put any link in my posts. Do I need a plugin?
    Seems TOO vanilla.
    tj
  • Never mind that request. Got the plugin. How about uploading an image from my computer or cut/paste, rather than a URL?
  • I am also very interested to learn how to add the link of the original source, my purpose is to add news feeds as posts and of course I want to indicate the source.
    If anyone has a solution please let me know, thank you
  • Anyone figure out how to include the URL to the original source in this plugin?
  • sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    you will have to add event when the feed is copied to the database to add link to original post in the body at bottom - thats the only solution to it.
    i had customised this Feed Discussion plugin to make the feed upload to a certain category selected by admin
    you can find it at https://github.com/sahotataran/Addons/tree/master/plugins/FeedDiscussions
    also let me know if you can add URL by yourself or i will try again to customise the plugin to add URL to original post at bottom of the body.
    thanks

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    @sahotataran Im using your hack to specify category, workss great, but
    Is there a way to show the full content /body of a post including images?
    Right now Im just getting an excerpt.
    I got 114 useless 30 word excerpts. lol
  • camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    @Tim Is there a way to show the full content /body of a post including images?
    Right now Im just getting an excerpt.
    I got 114 useless 30 word excerpts.
    Looking at class.feeddiscussions.plugin.php it does wrap it in a div, but there should be no truncation ???

Tested a totally different feed at random, to determin if the feed I chose was the problem, but same effect, post truncated after about 30 words.

Sorry @Camo i am still looking into it. i will make more amendments in it and let you know when i make more changes in it. also can you please check the RSS feed you are adding - how many words it has in original?

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    @sahotataran

example of feed item

<item> <title>Rat food V water</title> <link> http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/rat-food-v-water-172606/ </link> <pubDate>Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:34:30 GMT</pubDate> <description> <![CDATA[ For the past couple of weeks I've been playing around with a couple of different rat foods and working out food and water consumption. I've been using Aust Organic Rodent... ]]> </description> <content:encoded> <![CDATA[ <div>For the past couple of weeks I've been playing around with a couple of different rat foods and working out food and water consumption.<br /> <br /> I've been using Aust Organic Rodent Cubes, factory is near Toowoomba and Ridleys Bio Mare. Both of these products are within a few cents per kilo of each other.<br /> <br /> I set up 2 rat colonies, 1 male and 2 females in each. All these rats are the same age having come from the same litter.<br /> Rat food and water has been measured by weight.<br /> <br /> So far I've found that the rats are eating 10.63% more Bio Mare then the Aust Organics and those on the Bio Mare are drinking 31.23% more water than the other colony.<br /> <br /> I know a lot of people use the Bio Mare for their rats and unless you are breeding rats in big way the 10.63% in food consumption wouldn't be much of an additional cost.<br /> <br /> The big increase in water usage could be of concern to those who have a problem with the rat smell as more water in equals more water out.<br /> <br /> I'm going to get hold of a couple of other different brands of rat food and try the same thing. Also going to set up some weaners to see if there is any difference in breeding age and/or litter size.</div> ]]> </content:encoded> <category domain="http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/">General Reptile Discussion</category> <dc:creator>The Devil</dc:creator> <guid isPermaLink="true"> http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/rat-food-v-water-172606/ </guid> </item>

example shown with plugin
    For the past couple of weeks I've been playing around with a couple of different rat foods and working out food and water consumption. 

I've been using Aust Organic Rodent...
    yes thats because it pulls data from <description> and not from <content:encoded>
    You might notice that the whole post is in <content:encoded>
    and the <description> gives short description of the original post and that is what goes into the vanilla database

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('description', $Item);
    To
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('', $Item);
    and/or
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('content:encoded', $Item);
    and/or
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('content', $Item);

but nothing at all was produced.

I think the feed itself must be configured to show full body already, if its only a description and link, thats all you get.
    Im dissapointed, this plugin is not useful to me afterall.
    People wont make sense of an excerpt, and no link to full content, and if there is a link to full content, it takes your readers away from your site.
    I really just wanted to show the full content of original post with images, e.g context.
    :(
  • So I created a free hosted vanilla forum for testing purpouses, I wrote a few mock discussions, and tested its rss feed in this plugin. It works perfectly, shows full body content!
    I beleive this plugin relies heavily on a specific feeds configuration.

• Solved! Run your feed url through http://fulltextrssfeed.com/ Works great!
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('description', $Item);
    To
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('', $Item);
    and/or
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('content:encoded', $Item);
    and/or
    $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('content', $Item);

but nothing at all was produced.
    @camo i had been trying to figure out how to get <content:encoded> from the feed but still to no result. :(

• @sahotataran , Thankyou for your efforts, very much appreciated! :)
  • @Tim how often is a feed supposed to update please? That is, my feed is updating, but new post are not yet displaying, how often does it post the new items in the updated feed?
  • @Tim, just thought of a few more questions:

1. what are the copyright ramifications of using syndicated content in this manner, if any?

2. I would like to change the default 'poster' used by the plugin, in this case, user1 or admin (thats me). I want to make it clear that a program is using the syndicated content, for example...

I create a new user account called 'buzzbot', and make its avatar the standard rss symbol.
    How do I find buzzbot's id number? which file and where do I hack to 'attribute' created discussions' to buzzbot?
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    Can we assign feeds to be imported into specific category forum ?

• I used the hack version of sahotataran to specify which category feeds are imported to but this plugin had never supplied any rss update. Even by clicking on the import old post checkbox, it'd not just working at all. Please i need to get this to work.
    there is some issue with this Plugin. it doesnot import anything even though we supply valid RSS feed url. we need to post to original developer