Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can I make category descriptions longer than 120 characters?

AFNAFN New
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

How can I make the description longer than 120 characters longer?

Comments

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

can you specify which description you are talking about?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I am trying to add a new category and the description that I am trying to enter is too long. How can I make that description longer to allow more characters?

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• And where do I go to change this? I'm logged in as an admin > gone to dashboard > floodcontrol > and changed the default from 8,000 to 14,000. However I still get the same error message "Description is X characters too long."

How can I change the category description length?

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

There is no way to do this in the application.

• If I can't do it that way, than can I manually login to the FTP server and edit a file and change it that way?

• You'll have to execute this to your database (through MySQL command line or phpMyadmin):

ALTER TABLE GDN_Category MODIFY Description VARCHAR(1000)

This assumes that your the Vanilla prefix is GDN_ and you want a maximum of 1000 characters in the Category description (versus the default of 500). Edit accordingly to fit your needs.

• Thank you.