Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Badges :) Thanks Team

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I just received mail that I have received a badge for contributing to vanilla community.
When was this feature launched. I always wondered that vanilla should employ game mechanics to attract more users. Thanks for implementing this.

Please deploy an addon soon for webmasters like us.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Best Answers

• JackJJWJackJJW New
    Answer ✓

I love the badges and would be willing to pay a one off cost for them, I just don't require the $49 monthly hosting... My site is too small. So, I'd be happy to donate a small amount of money to any development of an open source version.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Ooh looks nicer than stackoverflow too. Good work guys, congrats @aery

• I like it. I thought i won a contest earlier when it emailed me lol

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

can't wait to see it available as addon or in core.

This has to be in core. Its so awesome.

• We need this

• Sweet, I actually started making a plugin like this, it didn't get very far. It was going to incorporate the pop-up messages and have like a place in your profile to show off all your badges. As I said it didn't get very far though, because of my lack of knowledge/experience with vanilla/garden and also because everytime I go to read documentation on making plugins I am really tired and don't take in anything.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

By the way, there is some bug. header of my profile says "0 badge" and "0 points" but on right hand side, I have 2 badges.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭

aery said:
    I just received mail that I have received a badge for contributing to vanilla community.
    When was this feature launched. I always wondered that vanilla should employ game mechanics to attract more users. Thanks for implementing this.

Please deploy an addon soon for webmasters like us.

i like your forum theme. looks so clean/neat!

• Open source FTW! :D
    I would really like to use this with my vanilla

• Great!

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011

By the way, there is another little "bug". My badges order (under the profile avatar) is strange: from left to right 2, 3 and 1. Even if I've earned then, obviously, in order.
    Maybe 'cause the #1 has no specified the number on it (in the name of the file ;) I mean...)?

Great option, I can't wait to see it in the next release.

I very liked the way it works: it doesn't start from zero but, accordingly to the posts written, assigns all the step-medals counting the user total posts.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011

Hm, are these awarded retroactively?

Ah, there they go, had to post.

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011

Yes, I mean that! :P
    Awesome addon.

BTW: now I have 183 posts, guess if there is a medal at 200...

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011

184, now... ;)

(I'm joking).

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Yeah, there's many bugs. We're working thru them, and will be tweaking the availability & requirements of badges quite a bit.

• I like my 1 yr anniversary badge...
    Can you create an impersonating @Lincoln badge for when I posted as you?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited December 2011

Lol @ddumont or a movember badge. Will knock one up, we shall name thee the Lincoln badge

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Who you knocking up? ;)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• 422422 Developer MVP

Lolol

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011

Ahahah...

I want a forum-stalker badge! ;)

BTW, in my community there is a provocative user who would appreciate a trophy for all the times that has been banned/his posts has been unliked... :|

I've just received a "1 Like Badge" and so I put down some ideas (maybe you already had them, I know you're not playing scrabble all the day...) that hope you like.

Now we have:

• badge for 1, 10, 100, 500 and 1000 posts;

• badge for 1, 10, 50, 100 and 250 likes;

• badge for 1st, 2nd, 3rd... etc.. and 10th Anniversary.

We could have:

• a badge for user who reached a number of accepted answer in question threads (he is a user useful for the community);

• a badge for a very interesting thread (thread with many replies);

• a badge for long lasting thread (thread opened 5 years ago (for example) is being discussed even today);

• a badge for inviting user (user when register to the forum, can specify choosing from a dropdown menu with the list of the registered users, the one who invited him to join).

Hope this could help.

Ciao!

p.s.: Anniversary badges are not awarded retroactively? I'm missing mines... ;)