HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Feature requests

evolucjaevolucja New
edited December 2011 in Feedback

Must-have that would make VanillaCMS really usable:

• availability to include custom, own, normal language PHP script except writing page in pure HTML. Custom Fields should also be available for this option.

• direct discussion at the end of page as an option(not just creating a discussions that are shown under page)

• attachments to page or availability to upload custom files and "adding them" to the page content(+ option for changing file name)

• page visible only for logged users(or visible[in menu] for everyone but requiring logging for seeing content)

• page visible only for specified users role

• page visible only for selected users

That's all for now after 30 minutes of testing :) I'd be sooo happy if you will like these features and if they will come out before end of this month.

Comments

• Response from developer:
    -Php-scripts: I highly doubt the security in letting people writing their own php-scripts in the CMS so I'll probably never include that. But on the other side I want to build it as extensible as possible allowing you to hook into the cms at certains points, maybe for adding your own php-scripts? :)

-Direct discussion: I actually had your request from the start of the project but changed over time due to the requests of that project (the vcms started as another project). I agree with you that normal pages would do much better with the old style and will try to revert/rebuild ASAP

-Attachments is a great request, why don't you build a plugin like that and I'll gladly hook it into the CMS. If not, maybe I'll have time in the future to build it myself.

-Page permissions is also a feature that I once had and will try to rebuild until stable 1.0

Thanks for the feedback, more is always welcome!

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I completely agree that php scripts should not be a part of a CMS. As soon as you do that you are making the CMS unavailable to user generated content.

It's also asking some punter who thinks they know php to completely break their site because they are typing php into a textbox. Type something wrong? Complete breakage.

• I completly don't understand your thoughts. I have a lot of custom PHP script like own company calendar, school lessons plan, external gallery or even a simple football match results.
    I'm not as good programmer to rewrite of all scripts I already have to plugin to make them work with Vanilla. I don't have also a time to learn all Vanilla development guide or money to let it someone's else to do for me. It's a must have feature for me to have an option to upload my script and just include it in Vanilla page.

And... that would be soooo amazing if I could even use Vanilla's variables in my PHP script: to use user data etc.

I love Vanilla for it's configurability. Don't limit it, please.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

You are saying you don't have time to learn Vanilla or the money to pay someone else to do development for you and therefore someone else should just do exactly what you want for free.

How can you justify this line of thought? I really wonder if you are thinking about what you are writing. Are you?

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2011

evolucja said:

I'm not as good programmer

I don't have also a time to learn

Or money to pay anyone

It's a must have feature for me

I love Vanilla for it's configurability because its free.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Guys, but do I expect anything from you? No, really :) I just said that I'd love this feature. I think that it's not too difficult to implement so I suggested it.

But if you don't think it's a good feature, maybe you can help me in making such improvement like non-official modification for VanillaCMS?

I'm sorry I don't know english very good so sometimes my sentences can be miss understood..

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭

Just my opinion... I think suggested items above is not that "too easy" to implement, it will really involve a lot of time coding and testing.

• Is there any progress on this application? No update since 2 weeks :(

• do it yourself.

grep is your friend.

• BeyBey
    edited January 2012

Evolucja, you have another option.

All those scripts you refer to were developed, supposedly, by some php maven(s) (otherwise you would not like them so much). So, how about approaching the benevolent souls who, developed those and, obviously, have time to code pro-bono, to develop this simple plugin?

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭

evolucja said:
    Is there any progress on this application? No update since 2 weeks :(

@Evolucja haha are you serious?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Pmsl , client authorised us to do them an e store after approving our wireframes.
    That was on the friday.

On the monday, they emailed saying when will we be number one on google. Plus cant find their site in search results...

Thats about the time the fone hit the desk.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

422 said:
    Pmsl , client authorised us to do them an e store after approving our wireframes.
    That was on the friday.

On the monday, they emailed saying when will we be number one on google. Plus cant find their site in search results...

Thats about the time the fone hit the desk.

why aren't you done yet?

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited January 2012

@evolucja -- try the custom pages plugin. it simplifies a lot and allows you to jump in to writing php... good luck. remember

if (result == bonk){
    echo "you may have screwed something up royally - hope you didn't touch the database.";
    exit();
    }

• 422422 Developer MVP

I wonder how many ppl have that message echoed on their forums lol

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @Todd said:
    I completely agree that php scripts should not be a part of a CMS. As soon as you do that you are making the CMS unavailable to user generated content.

It's also asking some punter who thinks they know php to completely break their site because they are typing php into a textbox. Type something wrong? Complete breakage.

I think you are way off base with this. Most modern CMS packages have the ability to execute scripts within the framework. IPS did it for forums with their excellent IP.content product. Obviously, the non-admin user should not be able to add scripts themselves.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

I take with this plugin, will I be able to create a RSS feed for my site? Only new at all this but trying.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Vanilla comes with RSS feeds right out of the box via Syndication: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/syndication

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub