HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Minecraft Theme

clethrillclethrill ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Feedback

Feedback thread for minecraft theme

Tagged:

Comments

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

nice one

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

This is awesome, good work!

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• sahotataran said:
    nice one

Tim said:
    This is awesome, good work!

honestly? I was more playing around with the html then the css

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

yup honestly. reminded me of good old days of Contra :D

• sahotataran said:
    yup honestly. reminded me of good old days of Contra :D

I am not old enough for that :P Not much of a shooter guy either. Anyways, going to turn some music on and do some more tinkering of the theme to get out of housework before people come over for festive shits and giggles.

• Brilliant!

This could be useful for minecrafters who are looking for a "plug 'n' play" forum system to keep in touch with each other without the hassle of designing and coding...

Really, this will be used by many in the future, good work!

• Turbolego said:
    Brilliant!

This could be useful for minecrafters who are looking for a "plug 'n' play" forum system to keep in touch with each other without the hassle of designing and coding...

Really, this will be used by many in the future, good work!

Thankyou, I was thinking of actually adding some minecraft specific functionality like server status, or dynamic skins as profile pictures.

• edited January 2012

Hey. I cant seem to start any discussions when logged in. There is no button or anything

Oh and when i activate it, it says its version 0.3

Also can i donate? This is great work and i want to support it

• Well i played around with it some more. The start new discussion button has showed up. I think it wont show if your forum dont have any discussions

• rumvasen said:
    Well i played around with it some more. The start new discussion button has showed up. I think it wont show if your forum dont have any discussions

Oh shit I didn't think of that, I moved the discussions button to an area which is hidden when there are no posts, I will need to change that.

rumvasen said:
    Also can i donate? This is great work and i want to support it

This is mostly experimental, and all I am is a 17 year old filling in time between maths extension 2 homework and playing video games. I like to do it for free as I get the satisfaction of making others happy and expanding my knowledge in programming.

However if you do really want to donate, you would need to tell me how as I have no clue how it works. (Happy to learn though)

• For some reason with this theme, the sidebar appears right aligned, but above the discussion listing.

• It seems that the main navigation bar (dashboard, discussions, activity etc.) has overflowed.
    This can be fixed by

1. going to /themes/minecraft/design/custom.css
      and changing the font-size: 22px; (around line 51) to something smaller
    2. or changing the font to an alternative font (this will remove the minecraft-esque font however), as the minecraft font is quite wide.
    3. or you could remove certain aspects of the menu to make it smaller (disabling mark all viewed plugin)
    4. or moving the search bar somewhere else
    5. or making the search bar smaller itself (go to line 61 find #Form_Search { and add width: ###px; where ### is any number, currently set to 250)
  • 422 said:
    Reported as abuse , @lucasbytegenius read forum rules, this kind of post is unwanted and unmerited.

Thank steve :|

Criticism is beneficial but there are better ways to say it. I would like to quote myself from whenever I first put up this addon

Got bored, made a theme! It is mostly experimenting with the layout/html side of vanilla and not the css, if anyone is genuinely interested give me your pointers and I will add it to the theme.

How would you like me to redo the default vanilla theme to look better with it? What sort of background would you like? (remember it is minecraft it isn't all razzle dazzle) I did contemplate a dynamic day / night background at one stage. (I know you could make that :P )

With the nav bar it is that size because the font is quite wide and to make it higher to be seeable it has to get wider... (font-stretch is not currently supported in any major browsers and I don't want to go around and make my own font).

Valid point with the rounded corners.

@lucasbytegenius if you could answer the above points it would be most welcoming.

• clethrill said:
    It seems that the main navigation bar (dashboard, discussions, activity etc.) has overflowed.
    This can be fixed by

1. going to /themes/minecraft/design/custom.css
      and changing the font-size: 22px; (around line 51) to something smaller
    2. or changing the font to an alternative font (this will remove the minecraft-esque font however), as the minecraft font is quite wide.
    3. or you could remove certain aspects of the menu to make it smaller (disabling mark all viewed plugin)
    4. or moving the search bar somewhere else
    5. or making the search bar smaller itself (go to line 61 find #Form_Search { and add width: ###px; where ### is any number, currently set to 250)

Thanks, that worked wonders. With things like the Vanilla CMS adding more links to the top bar, is there a way to text wrap the top bar instead of it over flowing, causing odd formatting issues?

• edited February 2012

422 said:
    Reported as abuse , @lucasbytegenius read forum rules, this kind of post is unwanted and unmerited.

Ste

Maybe I was a bit too harsh, but feedback is what was wanted. I'll edit the post so as to not be so angry-looking. Apologies.

Edit: Unfortunately I can't edit the post, so I'll just answer clethrill's post. Again, my apologies. I didn't really mean to be so mean.

clethrill said:
    How would you like me to redo the default vanilla theme to look better with it? What sort of background would you like? (remember it is minecraft it isn't all razzle dazzle) I did contemplate a dynamic day / night background at one stage. (I know you could make that :P )

With the nav bar it is that size because the font is quite wide and to make it higher to be seeable it has to get wider... (font-stretch is not currently supported in any major browsers and I don't want to go around and make my own font).

Valid point with the rounded corners.

@lucasbytegenius if you could answer the above points it would be most welcoming.

Well if it were more realistic-looking, like for example Minecraft Forums's background image, that would be nice.

As for the font, what about font-size?

• Thanks, that worked wonders. With things like the Vanilla CMS adding more links to the top bar, is there a way to text wrap the top bar instead of it over flowing, causing odd formatting issues?

If it is only just too big the options I suggested as well as using letter-spacing would be the best option. Otherwise I would probably suggest splitting it onto two rows. I cannot remember how I made the theme before so I can't suggest how to do this at the current time (busy busy, I can look at it tomorrow about this time for you though). If two rows is still not enough I would suggest some form of drop down menu. (I don't think that will be the case)

Well if it were more realistic-looking, like for example Minecraft Forums's background image, that would be nice.

I don't want to steal any graphics however I am half decent at making my own but currently to not have the time. (as above maybe tomorrow)

As for the font, what about font-size?

Reducing the font-size makes it's height rather smaller, I could look into making the dirt section smaller (height-wise) to counter that.

• edited March 2012

nice one, Reducing the font-size makes it's height rather smaller
    it like

• I split a little of this thread to keep this one on topic. I split a little too much (2 comments by lucasthegenius and 422). See other thread for those 2 comments.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

• QvintusQvintus New
    edited March 2012

NVM it would seem I just had to create Smarty/compile in the cache folder

• Qvintus said:
    NVM it would seem I just had to create Smarty/compile in the cache folder

Sweet, I will put your original before editing question so if anyone else has the problem they will now how to solve.

Qvintus also said:
    Hello I'm new to using VanillaForums and I sort of wanted to try out this Theme, one problem though. My forums goes Bonk! O.o Why is that? only happens when I use this theme ? any suggestions?