Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need help with custom page

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Please forgive my ignorance. I want to do something that should be very simple, but since I know only html and not php, it seems difficult to me.

I have created a Homepage using the dashboard. In order to people to see the posts and contribute, they must sign in. It has a short list of categories.

Now, I want to create a similar Homepage, but this one will have a different set of categories and everyone can see the posts. BUT, in order to contribute posts, they must sign in.

I want to use the same sign-in for both pages, so people don't have to have two different usernames and passwords. The same one will work for both, and once you're logged in to one, you're also logged in to the other.

When I am logged in to the Homepage, and I view Source in the browser, I see the entire HTML page layout.

But, when I search all the files and folders for vanilla, this HTML file does not exist. Is there some back-end Vanilla server that I am not able to access that stores this page? I was thinking that if I could access this, I could make html edits and solve my problem. No such luck.

Please, someone, help me solve this!

Thank you.

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Sounds like u just need usergrps

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• The index page you are looking for does not exist.

I don't know that it's possible to do what you're trying to do without writing a custom addon.

• Thanks for your reply, @ddumont.
    Perhaps there is another way around this.
    Let's say I install 2 versions of vanilla into different folders.
    I can modify each one as I like.
    But, is there a way to make them both share the same MySql / PHP database so there is only one login? Where is that information in the code so I can make them point to the same database?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Sounds like u just need usergrps

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

mbschwartz

You can certainly clone your vanilla folder and have a 2nd install which shares the db.

Once you have cloned the folder, clear the vanilla/cache folder in the cloned folder, and you will be able to connect to the db.

• @whu606 Didn't solve the issue of creating two pages that have different category lists, yet use the same login info.

• 422422 Developer MVP

If u really want to do this all i can suggest is , custom code.

Along the lines of some php and css perhaps js.

If usergrp id = 6 display none kind of method / visibilty = hidden else display block .

Im not good with this kinda stuff. But if a usergrp does not have permission for certain category then hide that cat. But i am sure that is what usergrp permissions does anyway

• Thanks, @422. But that is beyond my understanding.