Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Magic addon] BUG: extra code visible*

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello, and first of all thanks so much for this great plugin.

I just intalled it and for images it works fine, but for Youtube videos some extra code is visible. For example when I post this Youtube video:

http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=UZASfjc9El4

The following code appears after the video:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"
width="425" height="344">

You can see the example on this page:
http://www.themetaldiscourser.com/forum.php#/discussion/1/this-is-a-test

Also, I notice when I scroll further down the page, the Youtube video overlaps the header (the forum is embedded and the header is part of my website). EDIT: Actually, as I test it I discover the video will overlap even if I disable your plugin, so it's not a problem on your end.

Thanks for any assistance.

Best Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Your code isnt parsing the video correctly.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422422 Developer MVP

The developer of the addon. Your code is truncating the embed function of the video url by adding > after the url . Look at your source code.

Also in 2.0.18.1 onwards in vanilla youtube vids are parsed automagically

Edit :: by the way its not my plugin

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

You did post on page of plugin, but was trying to help you.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Yeah that confuses me too. What vanilla version u using, if latest. Disable plugin and try posting youtube video url in a test post

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Have you set a height for header, sorry i am mobile. Unable to look at src code

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

this plugin is way to old as i see - last update was in 2010. i think it might be incompatible with Vanilla 2.0.18

Answer ✓

and are u posting the full embed code or just the link to the youtube video>???
    did u try posting the embed code by itself in the comment?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

This is getting confusing. Whats the exact problem lol

Answer ✓

lol thats what i was thinking 422 :P

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Define header? Please

Answer ✓

Bcoz of z-index and positioning problems with flash and CSS as I know the video/flash will always be above the CSS no matter what happens

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Your code isnt parsing the video correctly.

• edited January 2012

I'm sorry I don't understand, could you be more specific? Are you saying the problem is not with your plugin, and that instead I should report it to Vanilla or the developer of the theme I'm using?

• 422422 Developer MVP

The developer of the addon. Your code is truncating the embed function of the video url by adding > after the url . Look at your source code.

Also in 2.0.18.1 onwards in vanilla youtube vids are parsed automagically

Edit :: by the way its not my plugin

• OK well that's strange I thought I posted this on the page of the plugin? If this is a general question it shouldn't be. Thanks anyways for your help though, I'll try to see what happened.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

You did post on page of plugin, but was trying to help you.

• edited January 2012

Oh OK yes thanks then 422 really it's much appreciated!!

Hmmm, strangely the thread is marked as 'answered' on the plugin page, don't know why...

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Yeah that confuses me too. What vanilla version u using, if latest. Disable plugin and try posting youtube video url in a test post

• edited January 2012

Yeah I tried that, then it works fine with the plugin disabled (except the video overlaps the header part of my own website).

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Have you set a height for header, sorry i am mobile. Unable to look at src code

Answer ✓

this plugin is way to old as i see - last update was in 2010. i think it might be incompatible with Vanilla 2.0.18

Answer ✓

and are u posting the full embed code or just the link to the youtube video>???
    did u try posting the embed code by itself in the comment?

• edited January 2012

The header is fixed position and really complex and stuff (for me anyways) and I don't rightly know if the height is officially set, but I removed the header temporarily and replaced it with a few words. Since the words aren't fixed position I don't now if that issue still persists (since when I scroll down the words disappear and the possibility of overlap never arises), but the extra visible coding was still present with the video. I tried posting the Youtube embed code, and the result was nothing at all showed, no code or video it was completely blank.

• edited January 2012

Well this is completely bizarre, this question should be associated with magic 1.0, not MaxImageSize!

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/526-magic

I'll try implementing the two fixes mentioned on that page. Hmm it seems those fixes are for older versions of Vanilla, which doesn't apply in this case. I'll try switching my question there some how.

EDIT: I posted it here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18755/bug-extra-code-visible#Item_1

I'm going to bed now will check back in the morning, thanks again for all the help it's greatly appreciated.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

This is getting confusing. Whats the exact problem lol

Answer ✓

lol thats what i was thinking 422 :P

• OK fewf I'm not going crazy, UnderDog said there's no easy way to correct the bug so he added the correct addon in the title. :) In other words, don't use the magic addon. Thanks all for your help!

• Upon testing it, unfortunately regardless of whether or not I use MaxImageSize:

1. my Youtube video overlaps the header
    2. I can post no images at all, only the image URL appears

I guess I'll make separate threads for this.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Define header? Please

• edited January 2012

On the image problem, I don't know what happened because the images were functioning before.

On the overlap problem, 422 I removed my header and instead replaced it with text in a fixed-position div (the normal header is also fixed-position). In other words it's like this:

Damn! I can't even paste for you to look at the code I use on my website, because this forum converts the symbols to other stuff. Is there no quote feature for posting code? EDIT: If you go to my forum website (http://www.themetaldiscourser.com/forum.php#/discussion/1/this-is-a-test) just view the source code and you'll see (it's much cleaner now that I removed the header).

As you can see the text overlaps everything except with the video it's the opposite, the text is itself overlapped.

EDIT: Is there documentation somewhere indicating how to post images and videos with bbcode / html / etc?

Answer ✓

Bcoz of z-index and positioning problems with flash and CSS as I know the video/flash will always be above the CSS no matter what happens