Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Multiple categories or cutom taxonomy

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am looking to create different categories type for a specific project. Example will be : Books, Movies, Music and then each of those will have categories within. So they should be different taxonomies than the default Vanilla Category type. Basically I am looking at the same structure as Wordpress custom taxonomy since version 3.0. Or the solution to my problem could be also be to allow multiple categories for each discussion.

I know this is not how Vanilla has been built but i wondering if someone ever accomplished this. Right now the DB only allow 1 category per discussion. There should be a new table with discussions ID linked to category and maybe custom taxonomy IDs. The Wordpress structure is a good example of what I am looking for.

Sorry for my English, this is not my first language.

I would appreciate feedback on this if anyone ever attempted this.

Thanks!!

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

Well categories are by definition hierarchical tree like structures (where as tags are non-hierarchical), however you could have many to many relationships with 'special' categories.

But that would have to change the way that categories are linked.

What I would suggest is to have a main category and then additional multicat. Or perhaps simply hide the master categories, and bring forward multicat. Multicat could actually be linked to the existing categories ID, just the association is made in a different way (many to many rather then many to one).

Categories are important in forums becuase, they hold different, permissions assigned to different role of the users.

If that system system is to work for multicat taxodomy, then that infrastructure has to be built, and you have to resolve between users the can use cat1, cat2, and user that can only use cat1. that has to resolve for the hierarchy of those categories, there can be a cascading effect.

Perhaps this not really what you are interested in and you want more groups or super tags.

Anyway I might be interested in having a go at this if you are willing to sponsor the project.

Bare in mind that nothing has been built. You could go for a one off solution that meet you immediate aims, or something more like custom taxonomy, which provides more flexibility in the future.

grep is your friend.

• Interesting. I would probably like to see this as a plugin to build custom taxonomy to serve future purpose. As for this immediate project I only need the main category plus another category type, I think it is worth building something solid from the start. I would see the plugin interacting with different tables in the DB for the taxonomy structure. One for the taxonomy terms (with permission settings like the basic vanilla category model), one for taxonomy type and one for the discussion taxonomy.

I don't know if you have checked how Wordpress custom taxonomy works but I really like how they built the structure of it, very flexible. Vanilla could be more powerful with this way of handling categories (taxonomy).

• So long as you are realistic about the amount of work, and you are willing (and anyone else who wants to be a sponsor) to remunerate. I'm happy to look into it.

It would be release as open source in the plugin repository. Sponsors will be listed.

grep is your friend.