Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to rename index.php? removing index.php?

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi vanilla!
Fabulous!
I've discover this "forum creator" this weak and find it wonderful. It's different to all my last experience, as in phpBB, MyBB, VB, etc. thanks to developers.

My Question: I'd like to use Joomla as index of my forum. It means I'll port the main link of Vanilla to Joomla index. So, I should merge Joomla & Vanilla because of one domain. It needs to replace index.php of Joomla instead of index.php of Vanilla!
I've tested this style before, using Joomla+phpBB; Wordpress+MyBB too. that's ok!

But here, the problem is role of index.php into Vanilla! renaming/removing index.php of vanilla will kill the forum! the action of index.php of Vanilla is the same as SMF's index.php action!

in contrary, phpBB's index.php is just a presentation file. Removing index.php on phpBB/MyBB won't turn off forum, you can still access to subforums by the direct link of each forum, jus, index of forum will be out of hand.
How can I rename (and at last remove) index.php of Vanilla?

Best Answer

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

easy way will be to embed your vanilla into your Joomla Installation. Use Embed Vanilla. Then you wont have to change index.php or anything else :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

Answer ✓

easy way will be to embed your vanilla into your Joomla Installation. Use Embed Vanilla. Then you wont have to change index.php or anything else :)

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Put your forum in a subfolder. Merge two applications in the same folder is a horrific plan.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• edited February 2012

mercy, > sahotataran said:

Use Embed Vanilla. Then you wont have to change index.php or anything else :)

why here the link of New discussion is: http://vanillaforums.org/post/discussion/9
    but on mine is: http://www.*.com/index.php?p=/post**/discussion/-1
    Is it because of "Embed Vanilla" addon?

If I use "Embed", Does it help to perform Joomla and Vanilla on the same domain:
    Joomla => www..com => index
    Forum => www.
    .com
    I'm asking for renaming (and then removing) index.php becase having one domain.
    When users enter www.***.com on their browser, index of Joomla will open => I'll put main link of vanilla on joomla index page.

Put your forum in a subfolder. Merge two applications in the same folder is a horrific

plan.

No; I'm willing for one domain!
    why horrific?

edited February 2012

your domain will be same but the vanilla will be hosted in a folder /forum/

so your joomla installation will be www.yourdomain.com/index.php

and your vanilla installation will be www.yourdomain.com/forum/index.php

or you can create a page in joomla www.yourdomain.com/forum.php and embed your vanilla installation from www.yourdomain.com/forum/index.php into this page.

• edited February 2012

A new folder? No, that's bad :(

How about renaming/removing index.php? is it possible?

no - everything will be messed up.

how will your manage round 8-9 folders of joomla and 8-9 folders of vanilla in one folder - what if they get merge? what if you need to update Vanilla and then how would you distinguish which folder is for joomla and which for Vanilla?

thats just about folders- what about files that are there for joomla and Vanilla eg - index.php - there are several others.

buddy folders are for organizing stuff so why not organize everything - rather than having a cluttered up joomla and vanilla - why not give atleast one of them as their own folder/sub-directory?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Back in the eighties you could rename index , home.

Those were the days !

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

Barion Joolma can confuse people about the reality of how sites are set up.

Gives us an idea of what you want to achieve, and we'll help.

Physical location of the forum doesn't matter, so longs as you don't mix apps. You can set up routing for custom urls.

It generally isn't a good idea to go against advice that people that are trying to help you, there is that expression "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

grep is your friend.

• @422 HTTP only started in 1991 which protocol are you talking about?

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

File naming conventions... Pre date http... Im talking bout early 80's but good point

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

ah but it is the server that decides which page is served. Actually there is no reason why a server couldn't serve home.* by default

A convention is like README.TXT but there is nothing stopping you from NOT reading it.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Lol true , i wonder how mant ppl choose to read htaccess file over readme files

• edited February 2012

x00 said:
    Joomla can confuse people about the reality of how sites are set up. Gives us an idea of what you want to achieve, and we'll help.

thanks x00
    It's becaus of my domain name which includes "forum" word. I design a forum-like page by Joomla to don't confuse users. I need Joomla to use its power for creating different pages and so on. If I merge them, I'll possess a forum and a blog on one domain!

It generally isn't a good idea to go against advice that people that are trying to help you, there is that expression "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

I agree;here/when did I went against somebody advice?

sahotataran said:
    how will you manage round 8-9 folders of joomla and 8-9 folders of vanilla in one folder - what if they get merge? what if you need to update Vanilla and then how would you distinguish which folder is for joomla and which for Vanilla?
    thats just about folders- what about files that are there for joomla and Vanilla eg - index.php - there are several others.

There is just 2 same folder: cache and plugins and no same file except index.php!
    Updating:
    1.that' simple: clearing root and puting new Joomla files => updating Joomla
    2. replacing vanilla files into root of host and updating it
    3. replacing merged folders and file at last.
    *. or simpler: the folders and file are recognizable and no problem

buddy folders are for organizing stuff so why not organize everything - rather than having a cluttered up joomla and vanilla - why not give atleast one of them as their own folder/sub-directory?

sub-directory(folder) means: www.*.com/folder**
    I'm certainly willing for one domain: www.***.com => for example posts will have an address like this
    www.***.com/+++
    Not like:
    www.***.com/forum/+++

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

If I merge them, I'll possess a forum and a blog on one domain

wrong, it has nothing to do with your domain, that is just an address to your physical site. you shouldn't merge the folders full stop.

I agree;here/when did I went against somebody advice?

You keep talking about merging them, and from my understanding have already done so, you shouldn't have done this with phpBB either. You have no idea what potential conflict my crop up becuase of this. You are not psychic, it is no no, you just don't do it.

You've still yet to tell me what structure you hope to achieve, what is the link to the forum going to be?

grep is your friend.

• you shouldn't merge the folders full stop.

why?
    even I remove index.php of vanilla and replace index.php of Joomla instead of it?

You keep talking about merging them

Because my the ttle of this topic is:
    Is it possible to rename index.php? removing index.php? (merging)
    :)

However, thanks x00!

• How many times...

read the last line of my post, stop fixating on merging its unlikely to be related to what you want to achieve.

the best way to ask a question like this is to tell people what you want to achieve, not insist on the incorrect way.

grep is your friend.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

YOU CANNOT REMOVE INDEX.PHP

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE INDEX.PHP

YOU WILL BREAK VANILLA, END OF STORY

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

most modern web apps like wordpress everything goes through index.php first

this enables you to do custom rewites of the urls, with a couple of lines just to make them like vanillaforums.org's

phpBB to do the same you need many more lines to the same thing, because it is not MVC, it really does point directly to discussion.php , and search.php or whatever.

But regardless you shouldn't merge any apps, because there are other unforeseen consequences besides overwriting, like how urls are resolve. How would a not found be resolved, etc.

URI don't actually represent physical locations on the server, it is the server that resolves that, and in the absence of rules tend to map them to relative directory structure.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

That was a bold statement tim pmsl

• it made me shudder too :D

grep is your friend.