HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Apply for Membership - User Experience (UX) issues

rprrpr
edited March 2012 in Feedback

Just some quick feedback regarding the moderated sign-up option 'Apply for Membership'. From a usability/user experience perspective, the default message is very confusing:

Your application will be reviewed by an administrator. You will be notified by email if your application is approved.

Powered by Vanilla

You need to confirm your email address. Click here to resend the confirmation email.

The message doesn't state that an confirmation email has already been sent to the applicant, and the last line even suggests that this is something the applicant still needs to do (why suggest they resend at this stage in the process?).

Many of my users have found this confusing and I've had to rewrite the default messages to something more user-friendly. Something along the lines "You have been sent an email asking that you confirm ... etc"

Comments

• rpr said:
    Many of my users have found this confusing and I've had to rewrite the default messages to something more user-friendly. Something along the lines "You have been sent an email asking that you confirm ... etc"

Thanks for the info. So which file did you change to make your suggested improvements? Maybe it's something for the next version of vanilla

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks for getting back UnderDog.

For the main message I changed the echo output in:

applications\dashboard\views\entry\registerthanks.php

I also completely removed the text/link saying: "You need to confirm your email address. Click here to resend the confirmation email." (now empty string).

Found this around line 56 in:

applications\dashboard\settings\class.hooks.php

• 422422 Developer MVP

Personally , i think after registration. You should be redirected to a "welcome and what next" page. Based on a smarter registration system.

We do this for every website we build, never leave anyone or anything to chance is my motto.

If you require users to think, they will bugger off in my experience.

• I agree 422. This is what I've kind of done in changing the default meassage. Mine basically explains that they now need to confirm their email address, as we can't approve (or dismiss) their membership application until they've done that.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Withya on that. Currently registration sucks. Even i forget what to do next.

• Ok, so it's time for a feature request on gitHub. Anyone interested in writing out what needs to be changed exactly? Preferably in functionality language.

User clicks on button X the following should happen. The following text should be shown, etc, etc.

Get my drift?

• 422422 Developer MVP

I will, but may well be much later today. Happy to pitch in with others. I also feel built in fuctionality for additional field modules is a pre-req

• 422422 Developer MVP

Ok just a rough I knocked up.

This shows registration Page, and below form process page.

• I think the sign-up process is generally okay, it's really only the 'Thank you' page that needs improving. 422's thank you page is nice, I like that it feeds back the applicant's email and username (the default doesn't). Think the message should be more generic though - 'goto' might be too informal for some forums?

LinkedIn use a fairly standard approach, using theirs as a basis perhaps something like:

Please Confirm Your Email Address

An email has been sent to applicants@emailaddress.co.uk. Click on the confirmation link in the email to complete your application. If you've not received an email please use the 'resend' link below.