Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Twitter Bootstrap Theme

Anyone know of a Twitter Bootstrap theme for Vanilla Forums? Twitter Bootstrap is creating a lot of waves: http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

Tagged:

Best Answer

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

A working demo of the current version is now available here: http://vanilla.ungdomsrod.dk/

Feel free to use the site for support questions and comments!

Just FYI: This is still a work in progress, so when I say it's a "production-ready release" it means that it will need regular updates if you want to use it on a production site.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

Answers

• having just discovered vanilla, i'm currently in the process of learning the ropes of theme development. although it appears more simple than wordpress, it does have its own learning curve.

however, i absolutely plan on making some nice templates that will make theming easier. twitter bootstrap will be at the top of my list. it'd be cool to integrate less.js with a forum theme. :D

I am in fact currently developing a theme for Vanilla based on Bootstrap. If anyone's interested in helping out, I could use the extra pair of hands.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• It will be interesting to see what people come up with. I thought about it but didn't really do much about trying to develop it :P

• 422422 Developer MVP

Personally i cant see the point interweaving a framework within a framework.

However be cool to see what you can do.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Well, I do consider Bootstrap and Vanilla to be two different kinds of frameworks, one being an "interface framework" and the other being a "forum framework" (pardon the expressions, I don't know any fancy words for the two). Bootstrap introduces some cool design paradigms, that I'd like to implement in Vanilla and so far it looks pretty great. I'll create a github repo sometime in the future.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Look fwd to it :)

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

That Twitter bootstrap does look great. Perhaps if it was around when we started Vanilla we may have used it.

Coming up with good paradigms for css class names is not an easy job. And not to knock designers too much here, but they often don't have the ability to structure stuff in a maintainable way. And programmers often don't have the ability to make or see what looks good.

Finding a good css framework that both looks and good and is maintainable is a really nice thing. Good on the twitter for releasing this.

• 422422 Developer MVP

• Very interesting. You'll release your work?

@candyman: Yes, I'll release it as soon as it's completed :)

• 422422 Developer MVP

That looks slick !

• Very interested in this, as well. It looks sharp!

I'm glad to hear that people are interested :) So far development is going well and I've added compatibility with a lot of popular addons. I've also added excerpts that can be toggled, the state of which gets saved in a cookie for a more fluent experience. Currently, I'm experimenting with a combination of Vanillas "All discussions" approach and the classic "Categories"-layout. As soon as all aspects of Vanilla have been themed I'll create a Github repo, and when it's been thoroughly tested I'll release it as an addon here on the site.

• Can't wait for this!

edited April 2012

@alesh contacted me and asked if the theme could be used in an embedded forum, so I'll include an optional embed.css file with embed-friendly styles :)

Edit: This is now how the theme looks when embedded and using the embed.css file:

• great theme !

@Doudou: Much appreciated, thanks!

• CaioCaio
    edited April 2012

@kasgperisager Bootstrap is a theme development framework, right? Also, it looks really nice.

• kasperisager
    Here's a screenshot of the current state of the theme. Combining the Vanilla and Bootstrap classes has proved quite the challenge and so far I've used a combination of HTML and jQuery to alter/remove classes in the Vanilla views. I'd like to keep the Vanilla classes for compatibility reasons though, so I may have to try something else.

good!