Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Badges?

edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey, I just recently noticed that Vanilla forums has added a little Badge plugin.
I was wondering if it is available. If not, has anyone try to make something like it?
I really want something like that on my site.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Badges is still in dev, no release schedule yet.

Perhaps start using Karma Bank, which will tide you overuntil badges is released and the two should handshake with each other, as an overall rep system etc.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Perhaps start using Karma Bank, which will tide you overuntil badges is released and the two should handshake with each other, as an overall rep system etc.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

422 said:

when you say the two should handshake with each other, do you mean that x00 has an integration with badges? is there a conspiracy im not aware of? ooo, im very intrigued.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited February 2012

hbf said:

422 said:

when you say the two should handshake with each other, do you mean that x00 has an integration with badges? is there a conspiracy im not aware of? ooo, im very intrigued.

Reading x00 thread, that is what i extrapulated.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/154193

• 422422 Developer MVP

I believe, knowing how technically anal x00 is ( meant as a compliment ) that he has studied classes and hooks of badges, and has fwd enginered his plugin.

Just a assumption tho.

• Actually it directly listens for meta, it does not rely on plugins being a certain way. The source of the meta can be mapped easily.

Also you can create meta where there is none (in the case of QnA), and it also listens for this, but does not have to rely on that event.

grep is your friend.

• Well, it would be great if the badges plugin was available. I would definitely be willing to pay some serious coin for it...

• vbgamer45vbgamer45 New
    edited April 2012

@alarich

Well, it would be great if the badges plugin was available. I would definitely be willing to pay some serious coin for it...

If someone can make me some images to use for I can probably build it. Seems like a neat feature.

• 422 said:

Any update on the Badges-plugin for us who host Vanilla on our own servers?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Nope :(

• 422 said:
    Nope :(

That's a shame. The Badges feature is pretty much the only reason why I am even considering using Vanilla.

• well you have to option of goign with the hosted solution.

grep is your friend.

• simonleufsimonleuf
    edited May 2012

x00 said:
    well you have to option of goign with the hosted solution.

I do, but I rather want to host the forum myself.

Edit: And I don't have any problem with paying for the plugin, if that's somehow stopping the devs from releasing it.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

I think also they need time to test it an iron out, and also review their business strategy.

If they make a public realease, they are goign to have to support those people.

grep is your friend.

• Seriously though if literally that is your only reason then using the hosting solution for the time being might be for you. It is optimised, something that most self host aren't.

grep is your friend.

• x00 said:
    Seriously though if literally that is your only reason then using the hosting solution for the time being might be for you. It is optimised, something that most self host aren't.

I am planning on integrating the forum with my Wordpress blog and I already have a decent VPS that will do just fine.

• There are topics around badges plugin every week.
    I understand developers if they prefer to keep this killer feature exclusive for hosted forums.
    Anyway it would be a step forward to know if this plugin will be ever released...
    If the answer is "no" maybe a developer would be ready to write a Badge Plus plugin for ransom.

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

I have to say that a badges plugin seems tempting, BUT..on the other hand it is nice to live without it. i don't like the idea of users just posting to achieve something/boost their ego. and some of them would. it sort of disturbs the original idea of a community - which is sharing and helping each other on an equal level ... just my opinion

• 422422 Developer MVP

The other option is to get a vb licence for 300 bucks or whatever..

• 422 said:
    The other option is to get a vb licence for 300 bucks or whatever..

I actually got an active IPB license and several of its suite products. IPB is a fine piece of forum software, but for this particular site I am looking for a cleaner and simpler forum. When I tried out IPB I just ended up taking away lots of features and code that I felt was unnecessary and made the site look bloated. So Vanilla felt/feels like a natural choice.