Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Install and config, please help!

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I install Vanilla2 for the first time so it not a transfer from V1 and I,ve an empty Database.

after vanilla is in my public root what is the exact url to find the config blue page...
I find one but it was the one to transfer from v1 to v2 and after it fail I been unable to refind it. ayway, maybe I'm a bit new into this but guys the tutorials and explanation are really not clear and precise.

So I need to know the url to find the first time config
when I got the blue page how exactly we write the info in it foreach thing (database, dbuser...)

I also permited write access to the 3 files mentioned

Thank you

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Dashboard > register

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Where did you install it to?

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

Let's see if I understand:

You wanted to transfer all your posts from vanilla 1 to vanilla 2
    You used the Porter application and tried to import using the dashboard
    that failed and now you emptied the database and want to re-install?

(I hope that's what you mean with the config blue page).
    In the case you want to reinstall you want to add

dashboard/setup

to your Url, so it will be:

http://www.mysite.com/dashboard/setup

Just make absolutely sure you want to re-install. Why not try to fix your broken install? There are plenty of options for that.

If you mean the dashboard, that's something else.
    In case of the dashboard you want to add

dashboard/settings

to your Url, so it will be:

http://www.mysite.com/dashboard/settings

• 422422 Developer MVP

I think hes just installing for first time B , not hundred percent on that. Great answer, liked :)

• edited April 2012

I Install for the first time, and it on my server, but there is adreally a website in my public directory, I put it both in my main directory and a subdirectory so tell me what is the best to keep. (I want to use the same server and domain for both my website and vanilla forum)

When I go to my dashboard setup I got thia fatal error:

The error occurred on or near: /home/********/public_html/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.php

51:       // Fatal error if Garden has already been installed.

52:       

53:       $Installed = Gdn::Config('Garden.Installed') ? TRUE : FALSE;

54:       if ($Installed)

55:          throw new Exception('Vanilla has already been installed.');

56:       

57:       if (!$this->_CheckPrerequisites()) {

58:          $this->View = 'prerequisites';

59:       } else {

Backtrace:

/home/********/public_html/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.phpSetupController->Index();

[/home/*******/public_html/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:322] PHP::call_user_func_array();

[/home/*******/public_html/index.php:53] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();

_Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla
        Application Version: 2.0.18.4
        PHP Version: 5.3.10
        Operating System: Linux
        Server Software: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.8.8
        User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
        Request Uri: /dashboard/setup
        Controller: SetupController
        Method: Index
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

422 and I will be helping you in turn, ok :-)

This message:

Freida said:
    51: // Fatal error if Garden has already been installed.

52:

53: $Installed = Gdn::Config('Garden.Installed') ? TRUE : FALSE;

54: if ($Installed)

55: throw new Exception('Vanilla has already been installed.');

56:

means that Vanilla thinks it's already installed. Is that because you tried to import from Vanilla1?

I Install for the first time, and it on my server, but there is adreally a website in my public directory, I put it both in my main directory and a subdirectory so tell me what is the best to keep.

Do you have a special website in your public directory? Having nothing to do with Vanilla?

If Vanilla thinks it's already installed you have the option to re-install (please backup the database in which you want to install vanilla first, ok)

If you want to re-install I will tell you the change you need to make in your conf/config.php

If you want to install in, let's say... /home/********/public_html/vanilla let's see if that will give the same result.

@422 : your turn :-P

• 422422 Developer MVP

I think he either has conflicting files , pre existing htaccess rules , cocked up the upload ie. Not uploaded all files correctly, or has inadvertantly messed up his db info.

If you trust me, send me your ftp info via email and i will install for you.

• 422422 Developer MVP

..missed the boat, just gone midnight and i am heading up the wooden hill.

• My website in my main directory (public http) is my main website, and my vanilla forum is the forum of this website, but I think I finally fixed it myself, with linking a button in my website "forum" tab to www.*********.net/discussions, it apear to work well even if i'm not sure if all this go in my database...I've check in myh database and there are some file now so... tell me what you think.

Now I need help to config the recapcha, I got my 2 serials for it but I don't know where to put it, (to allow poeples to join my forum)

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Dashboard > register