Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Set homepage as unread discussions

HotBlackHotBlack New
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Is there a way to set the homepage of the forum to the unread discussions view. That is, in a standard installation, set the homepage to discussions?unread?

I tried setting the address in "Enter the url to the page you would like to use as your homepage" field of the homepage settings in the dashboard. I got a 'page not found' page when going to the homepage. I also tried creating a route to discussions?unread, but was not able to load it.

What I want to do is make the first page that appears, when the forum is loaded and a user is logged in, to be the unread discussions of that user.

Great plugin by the way, makes the list of discussions much more manageable.

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

HotBlack said:
    Yes, my best option seems to be to set the toggle button to work in reverse. I am also working on styling the button so that it looks different when on or off.
    Shall I post my changes here?>

Absolutely. I'm sure others will appreciate.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

How would a user then keep tabs on their active threads?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• They would simply click on the top level menu where there would still be the "old" discussions entry and by using the categories panel.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

right now - there are two options.

tell your users to bookmark it
    http://"yourhost"/vanilla/discussions?unread

or go through the arduous task of clicking once.

... either the toggle button. or clicking unread from the menu.

not too onerous I hope.

I personally don't know what file after index.php and bootstrap sends it to discussions, maybe somebody will give you a configuration option for config.php - if there is one.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yes, my best option seems to be to set the toggle button to work in reverse. I am also working on styling the button so that it looks different when on or off.
    Shall I post my changes here?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

HotBlack said:
    Yes, my best option seems to be to set the toggle button to work in reverse. I am also working on styling the button so that it looks different when on or off.
    Shall I post my changes here?>

Absolutely. I'm sure others will appreciate.