Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

integration

RajioRajio
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
i'd love if this could be integrated more seamlessly into the vanilla interface. perhaps if it could replace the default vanilla search box easier, and without the 'close' button there (instead put the close button on the popup)?

also if the plugin could stick the search box code where the theme is sticking the vanilla search box, it would help with positioning.

Best Answer

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Even if you use a custom theme you should be able to use CSS to get what you want w.r.t positioning the search box.

I need a new form element for the search box, so you would just have to find where in the theme css you are using it defines the style for the search box and apply the same styles to the google search one.

What does the DOM look like when you turn on the vanilla search? Do you have a test site where you can leave the search on so I can take a look?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Google is drawing the close button.
    I should be drawing the element where the old search box was. do you have a before/after screeshot i can look at to see what issue you're having?

• ok the close button i can deal with and adapt with CSS. my problem with styling is that right now vanoogle is putting the search form code on its own. I'd rather have it inside my theme's menu div. i have my menu div as a fixed position menu bar and so if the search code rendered inside it then it would be positioned fine. right now its a seperate element which is a bit problematic

my live site - this explains what I want
    http://i.imgur.com/K7IVe.jpg

my beta site with vanoogle on
    http://i.imgur.com/5x2xR.jpg

is it perhaps due to me using a custom theme?
  • ddumontddumont ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Even if you use a custom theme you should be able to use CSS to get what you want w.r.t positioning the search box.

I need a new form element for the search box, so you would just have to find where in the theme css you are using it defines the style for the search box and apply the same styles to the google search one.

What does the DOM look like when you turn on the vanilla search? Do you have a test site where you can leave the search on so I can take a look?

• I have the exact same problem, but I'm use the default theme.

• Same exact problem as @Apreche. Oh well opted to remove.

• @Apreche
    @kjaonline

That's really strange. Are you using the latest here?
    Sorry for late response, I'm not getting notifications here when ppl comment on my addons. :(
    Best course of action would be to file an issue on the open source project site.

What browser are you guys using? And what version of Vanilla?

• ddumont said:
    @Apreche
    @kjaonline

That's really strange. Are you using the latest here?
    Sorry for late response, I'm not getting notifications here when ppl comment on my addons. :(
    Best course of action would be to file an issue on the open source project site.

What browser are you guys using? And what version of Vanilla?

No problem! I'm using latest beta version of chrome and latest version of Vanilla on default theme.

• @kjaonline Me too... do you have a live link demonstrating the problem?

• SevMCSevMC
    edited May 2012

it appears that the search box is merging with the results box.

• ddumontddumont ✭✭

@SevMC Got a screenshot?

• SevMCSevMC
    edited May 2012

sure:

• ddumontddumont ✭✭

@SevMC

Ahh. It looks like you need to alter the css on the #VanoogleResults element.
    looks like you could increase the 'top' property to something like 18px or so. Maybe more.

You can either put this in the theme css or the plugin css, up to you.

• excellent, thanks :)

• Anyone know if there a way to replace the default search box with this google version?

Thanks!

• Ok @hgtonight, you obviously have "the know". :)

For dummies like me, what do I put in the default.master.tpl instead of original search box to have this google search module at the same place?

</div>

<ul id="Menu">

{dashboard_link}

{discussions_link}

{custom_menu}

{inbox_link}

{profile_link}

{signinout_link}

</ul>

<div id="Search">{searchbox}</div>

</div>

</div>

I obviously didn't know what am I getting into when diving into Vanilla. Without such great community I'd be long lost.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Remove the line <div id="Search">{searchbox}</div> and replace it with {module name="ModuleNameModule} where ModuleName is the module name you want to appear there.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks @hgtonight. However it doesn't put the form in place but returns The "Vanoogle" object does not have a "xToString" method.|Vanoogle|xToString| error.

Is there anything else I should do?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

That implies there is no module by that name. Does vanoogle ship with a vanilla module?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Honestly I don't know. :/

It comes in this file if it helps: class.vanoogle.plugin.php

When you suggested

"... remove the searchbox by modifying the default.master.tpl file. Then just use this module"

I thought you know. ;)