Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Migrating from invisionpower to vanilla

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I have topics were created in IPB forum and users were registered in that forum also, under a domain. I want to migrate them all to another domain under vanilla. I don't want anyone loses his access details. I have a backup of database and files. Any support would be highly appreciated.

Best Answer

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

If you're able to install Invison and restore the backup, that would help. If not:

Make a dump of the structure of Vanilla database (use phpMyAdmin)

Compare the tables of the Vanilla Database with that of the Invision database

Be creative, because Invision doesn't have a table called 'discussions', but might have a table called 'threads', so sompare those 2 tables.

You can use a program called 'WinMerge' for that, or just stick 2 notepad instances next to each other.

Now you know which columns match for the Vanilla Database.

Let's see if you're up for that and go for the next step then...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• The migration goes via the Porter Plugin.

You have to place the Vanilla Porter file in the Invision Power installation, if you can and then let the Porter Plugin create a file.

If you only have the backup and can not install Invision somewhere, just tell that in this topic please :-)

• I only have the backup of files and database

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

If you're able to install Invison and restore the backup, that would help. If not:

Make a dump of the structure of Vanilla database (use phpMyAdmin)

Compare the tables of the Vanilla Database with that of the Invision database

Be creative, because Invision doesn't have a table called 'discussions', but might have a table called 'threads', so sompare those 2 tables.

You can use a program called 'WinMerge' for that, or just stick 2 notepad instances next to each other.

Now you know which columns match for the Vanilla Database.

Let's see if you're up for that and go for the next step then...

• Thank you @UnderDog