HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Deploying a new forum and adding a theme (for everyone)*

2»

Comments

• I have followed your instructions but I couldn't find the default theme design files. I upload vanilla folder using FileZilla.

Please advise, Many thanks in advance

• sigh ^^Split^^

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks... veru useful

• image" alt="" />

• qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

422 said:

grab yourself a download of the latest stable build ...

... unzip your new forum, locally ...

go to your website via ftp,...

Now we need to create a NEW folder, usually you can do this by right clicking and select New Folder.
    So do that and call it, forum... And inside it.. bugger its empty. Lets put some stuff in it.

Go to your desktop, and within that opened zip folder ( yep the vanilla-core-2-0-18-4 ) once, and inside that we have the folder called Vanilla >> open that folder and you should see: 9 folders and 6 files...

COPY.. back on your FTP ... Click Paste !

Such a complicated way?!

:))

422 said:

Do not upload that zip file to your server

Why?

Just: 1. Download Vanilla zip file 2. Upload the zip file to your host via ftp client 3. Extract it. 4.Renam it!

Or depending on your server, maybe uploading straitly to your host, using some scripts like:

<?php
     copy("http://static-cl1.vanilladev.com/www.vanillaforums.org/uploads/addons/RQSIVV7WTV4P.zip", "vanilla.zip");
    ?>

• 422422 Developer MVP

Crikey, i never thought of that.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

That way won't work for many people on shared hosting plans. Easier to give 1 way that works for everyone rather than 2 ways and make people choose based on their level of access.

• Thank you for this tutorial. I have a question, what will happen if I upload the zip file and extract it via Cpanel? Does that have an implication?

• GumCloud said:
    Thank you for this tutorial. I have a question, what will happen if I upload the zip file and extract it via Cpanel? Does that have an implication?

I think whatever works for you is the answer. If it works do it, if it doesn't don't.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• you can do it that way, in may ways hat is faster than ftp, especially if you want sleek file co troll on the filesystem. it is all to do with the interface though. Always err on the side of caution and backup.

Moving whole sections of your site around is a waste of time with ftp, it can take seconds otherwise.

ftp is a legacy technology. ssh is really the way to go.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

We use putty

• Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me. I use justhost.com and they are "upgrading" and migrated my site to a new server. Now my forums don't load at all. What should I do if I don't want to lose all of my content and usernames, etc.? Do I load vanilla all over again as stated in this post and then copy the content in every folder? There seems like there must be a better way but the justhost.com people said they have no idea what to do (some help desk!!). Please help me!! Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!

• 422422 Developer MVP

I emailed you back @amolloy

• Buen dia, yo subi la carpeta como vanilla, algunas personas se inscribieron, pero antes de que cresca un poco mas quiero cambiar el nombre.

Copie los archivos y di los permisos, pero quiero mantener esas bases de datos.
    La base de datos se llama vanilla.

Que tengo que modificar algunos archivos solamente, o es forzoso cambiar el nombre a la base de datos e importar lo que contegan

Good day, I went up the folder as vanilla, some people signed up, but before he grows a bit more I want to change the name.

Copy the files and gave permissions, but I want to keep those databases.
    The database is called vanilla.

I have to modify some files only, or forced to rename the database and import it angiologia

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited July 2012

@aguiacirr

Make the changes you want to make (rename, etc.) and then delete the ini files in cache folder.

You don't have to change anything to do with the DB.

• thats cool!

• I am new on Vanilla, this should help me sail through setting up my forum. Cheers.

• Well thanks for that awesome tutorial! Only I found it 3 days late...just went through the heartache of working all this stuff out and getting my head around it all... Also had a lot of issues becaucos I used a mac...I uploaded it with a windows and it finally worked first go. Also make sure filezilla is not set to "force show hidden files" as this also creates problems...

• i installed vanilla in windows xp sp3 with wamp server. i followed up all the methods. but when i press continue button, i am receiving error "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\wamp\www\forum\library\database\class.database.php on line 283" . quick googling say its missing some setting in php ini files. what i missed in middle. show me a path to do. thanks

• @Raveendranath you need to start a new discussion

grep is your friend.