Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

WP/Vanilla Integration - Glue Plugin Error

Nv1ncibleNv1ncible New
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey Vanilla community, I am developing a new site and would like to integrate as tightly as possible between Wordpress and Vanilla. I came across the Glue plugin created by Lincoln and was excited to test it. However, I have yet to be able to successfully enable the plugin.

My current setup is:

• A fresh installation of Wordpress in site root (/public_html).

• A fresh installation of Vanilla in forums (/public_html/forums).

• Both running on the same domain.

• Both using the same database.

• Glue plugins uploaded to the appropriate location on both WP and Vanilla.

• WP Glue plugin config.php includes path to forum directory.

The first step after getting to this point is to configure the WP Glue plugin by adding the path to your forum directory to the config.php file. Once that is done, I try to enable the plugin from Wordpress, and this is the error I receive:

Fatal Error in Gdn_Dispatcher.xStart();

The "Gdn_Dispatcher" object does not have a "xStart" method.

The error occurred on or near: 
/public_html/forums/library/core/class.pluggable.php

168:       // Make sure that $ActualMethodName exists before continuing:
169:       if (!method_exists($this, $ActualMethodName)) {
170:          // Make sure that a plugin is not handling the call
171:          if (!Gdn::PluginManager()->HasNewMethod($this->ClassName, $ReferenceMethodName))
172:             trigger_error(ErrorMessage('The "' . $this->ClassName . '" object does not have a "' . $ActualMethodName . '" method.', $this->ClassName, $ActualMethodName), E_USER_ERROR);
173:       }
174: 
175:       // Make sure the arguments get passed in the same way whether firing a custom event or a magic one.
176:       $this->EventArguments = $Arguments;
Backtrace:

/public_html/forums/library/core/class.pluggable.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
[/public_html/forums/library/core/class.pluggable.php:172] PHP::trigger_error();
[/public_html/wp-content/plugins/glue/vanilla.php:31] Gdn_Pluggable->__call();
[/public_html/wp-content/plugins/glue/vanilla.php:31] Gdn_Dispatcher->Start();
[/public_html/wp-content/plugins/glue/glue.php:24] PHP::require_once();
[/public_html/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php:519] PHP::include_once();
[/public_html/wp-admin/plugins.php:45] PHP::activate_plugin();
Variables in local scope:

[MethodName] 'Start'
[Arguments] array (
)
[Return] false
[ActualMethodName] 'xStart'
[ReferenceMethodName] 'Start'
[this] array (
  'Request' => '',
  'EventArguments' => 
  array (
  ),
  'Returns' => 
  array (
  ),
  'HandlerType' => 'NORMAL',
)

I originally contacted Lincoln for help, and he tried to point me in the right direction, but because he is a very busy man, was unable to help further.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

So you are using vanilla version 2.1, right. The errors looks like trying to install at plugin written for 2.1 in a 2.0.x vanilla versions.

the plugin has ('APPLICATION_VERSION', '2.1');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

So you are using vanilla version 2.1, right. The errors looks like trying to install at plugin written for 2.1 in a 2.0.x vanilla versions.

the plugin has ('APPLICATION_VERSION', '2.1');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Lincoln has warned this is not for the faint hearted, it is a tool kit for people who know what they are doing rather than a polished product.

grep is your friend.

• The Glue plugin worked for me when I used it on 2.0.18.4.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Shadowdare said:
    The Glue plugin worked for me when I used it on 2.0.18.4.

does the current version work? I notice its changed recently.

• x00 said:
    Lincoln has warned this is not for the faint hearted, it is a tool kit for people who know what they are doing rather than a polished product.

And I'm aware of that. I'm working on a new site, so I'm not in risk of losing anything.

@peregrine I wasn't aware that Vanilla had a 2.1 release. I just downloaded the latest stable version. Where can I find 2.1?

• Sheesh! The discussion with the title 2.1 will tell you. It will most likely be within 5-10 discussion from this one.

• 2.1 is in development so it is in alpha release I believe. Some plugins are written for 2.1 required.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited May 2012

The latest version of the Glue plugin should work with 2.0.18.4, but only after you remove the discussions controller code that was added to it.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• I was able to enable Glue once using 2.1. Thank you so much for your help guys!