Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Does the integrated blog commenting only work with paid forums?

XrnwXrnw New
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

Just curious if the free version also receives this neat feature.

Also, do blog commenters automatically gain a forum account by posting comments?

thanks

Best Answers

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

Vanilla's WordPress plugin does work with self-hosted Vanilla installations.

Vanilla 2.1 is also going to be released soon and will have universal codes that can be used to embed the special commenting system into custom webpages.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

Try villablog.

Vanilla has a wp plugin on their site you can use to embed vanilla if you opt for wp.

You could then use SSO plugin available from addons area.

The vanilla commenting system, is for paid plans only.

My suggestion, emulate a standalone forum with look n feel of your magento store.

@shadowdare that info is incorrect. Vanilla and wp for self hosted is very alive n kickin.

Albeit i hate embedded anything, it is available for self hosted.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/introducing-vanilla-comments/

from the above I can only assume it will work on a self-hosted site.
    and I quote from above......

There is a WordPress plugin available that allows you to enable comments on your WordPress blog from your WordPress dashboard

The rest of the questions, I can't answer, but maybe your programmer can.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Comments afaik is on paid plans only.

For open src version. You need....

Vanilla
    Wp in your case
    And a sso plugin.

• XrnwXrnw New
    edited May 2012

I don't have a wordpress blog; I have a blog extension for Magento (Magento is an e-commerce platform). I assume that wouldn't work then. Fortunately the blog part of my site has not been launched yet so I can scrap it and use whatever Vanilla works best with.

The only thing is keeping them within a few clicks of my products/catalog; I obviously don't want my visitors to have trouble buying from my ecommerce site.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

Vanilla's WordPress plugin does work with self-hosted Vanilla installations.

Vanilla 2.1 is also going to be released soon and will have universal codes that can be used to embed the special commenting system into custom webpages.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

Try villablog.

Vanilla has a wp plugin on their site you can use to embed vanilla if you opt for wp.

You could then use SSO plugin available from addons area.

The vanilla commenting system, is for paid plans only.

My suggestion, emulate a standalone forum with look n feel of your magento store.

@shadowdare that info is incorrect. Vanilla and wp for self hosted is very alive n kickin.

Albeit i hate embedded anything, it is available for self hosted.

• I've googled villablog, searched the addon section for villablog, and I just can't find it anywhere. Did you mis-spell it or am I just looking in the wrong places?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Nillablog