Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to script Vanilla installation?

2»

Comments

• @businessdad

you have extremely interesting questions and x00 has very informative responses. It's a breath of fresh air here. Do you plan on posting the results of your work in a plugin? I hope so!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@peregrine: do I have interesting questions? I actually think I'm often asking something stupid... The solution is simple when I think it's complicated, and vice-versa. Perhaps I have too much past experience conditioning my way of thinking. :)

I'm planning to publish at least two plugins for Vanilla, if not three. One is 90% ready, the other two are just a skeleton. Just a bit more time.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

@businessdad looking forward to the plugins and more great questions...and great answers. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine So far I only wrote questions, and some of them are still open (see the one about jsConnect, which is wrecking my head. I hope, one day, to be able to answer as well. :D

Time for some housekeeping. I solved the issue of automating the installation with a combination of ANT and PHP scripting.

Here's a summary of what I've done, hoping it can serve fellow developers as a guideline. Keep in mind that my objective was using a CI Server to test Vanilla Plugins, therefore everything revolves around preparing an environment where a plugin can be installed and tested.

ANT Tasks
    These tasks are performed before any Unit Testing takes place.

• Unpack a clean Vanilla package.
    • Create a database.
    • Configure Vanilla for first use. This uses CURL to simulate the POST of the configuration parameters that occurs when one opens Vanilla for the first time, configures it and clicks "Save".

PHP Tasks
    These are performed by the Unit Testing script (PHPUnit).

• Enable required plugins.
    • Run Unit Tests against a plugin.

I didn't post the code because it's quite specific to my circumstances, but, if needed, I can try to clean it up a bit and post a generic ANT file to use as a reference.

• businessdad said:
    Time for some housekeeping. I solved the issue of automating the installation with a combination of ANT and PHP scripting.

Here's a summary of what I've done, hoping it can serve fellow developers as a guideline. Keep in mind that my objective was using a CI Server to test Vanilla Plugins, therefore everything revolves around preparing an environment where a plugin can be installed and tested.

ANT Tasks
    These tasks are performed before any Unit Testing takes place.

• Unpack a clean Vanilla package.
    • Create a database.
    • Configure Vanilla for first use. This uses CURL to simulate the POST of the configuration parameters that occurs when one opens Vanilla for the first time, configures it and clicks "Save".

PHP Tasks
    These are performed by the Unit Testing script (PHPUnit).

• Enable required plugins.
    • Run Unit Tests against a plugin.

I didn't post the code because it's quite specific to my circumstances, but, if needed, I can try to clean it up a bit and post a generic ANT file to use as a reference.>

@businessdad
    You knew somebody was going to say - sure post it when you get a chance. I'd like to see it. :)

@peregrine Of course I knew, it's just that the script requires some good cleaning before it becomes "presentable", and I didn't want to wait until it's ready to post an update. I'll attach the script as soon as I have time to tidy up the mess. :)