Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error when I try to install Vanilla from github.

Matthew6DMatthew6D New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I get this. Fatal error: Call to a member function DefinePermissions() on a non-object in /home/mcwh/public_html/forum/library/core/class.session.php on line 318

Comments

• Which branch did you install from gitHub?

Refer to http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19820/vanilla-forums-git-branching-model for which branch to install.

Second, if you open /public_html/forum/library/core/class.session.php and go to line 318, what do you see? You need to find the object, the DefinePermissions() method is accessed from.

Look above this line (5 lines above, usually the start of the function) why the object is not defined (message is a 'non-object'). Try to conclude the reason, otherwise copy / paste 5 lines above / 5 lines under line 318 (or start of the function, whichever is closest) in this thread.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I just went to https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden and clicked the ZIP button.

• So you have the master branch. If you look in the link I gave (branching model) either look in the 'develop' branch or in the 'release branch'

See if you can reproduce the problem that you had with the master branch in either of those 2 branches (develop or release).

For every problem you have, the same tips I gave still apply : Try to interpret the error, look above your line of error why this thing happened, then either solve the problem or copy / paste approximately 10 lines of code concerning the problem.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NVM, I got it to work.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

UnderDog said:
    So you have the master branch.

If I wanna test 2.1, that is the url to download it?

• There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

I believe in most cases you want to take the zip from here to test ver 2.1 (but I've been wrong before).

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden

it will say in index.php
    define('APPLICATION_VERSION', '2.1a19');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

Great, thanks! Next question: In order to test my localization right from the start, I do it how? Copypaste all strings to definitions.php before I start the installation?

• @Sheila: No, you make a locale plugin. Go to /locales, copy the skeleton folder and give it a name (e.g. en-US or whatever makes sense to you). Then copy the strings in the definitions.php.

Alternatively you can also just create 2 files with the core and dashboard seperately as it is on transifex. In this case you will want to keep the definitions.php with only containing the info data.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

Thank you @HalfCat !