Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Adding links to footer

2»

Comments

• Sheila said:
    If extremely stable 2.1 comes out next monday, in that case I might have done things in vain. But most likely it will take some more time? Not to mention the plugins.

I understand what you mean, but no, 2.1 doesn't come out monday in an extremely stable state, as far as I know...

With Invision I was actively involved since alpha releases of 2.xxx, I don't have time nor hunger to be that much of a tester anymore. Naturally I contribute bug reports if needed, but am more of a finished release kinda girl now adays and prefer waiting thru few version numbers before upgrading.

Oooh, we could so use your help, just a little peek at the alpha version of 2.1 when it comes out...

And have to think my users too, they've had their fair share of parse errors and wsods during those years, thanks to me.

LOL, If you can tell me the equivalent of a wsod with Vanilla, I'll give you an extra 'like' for that post.

@UnderDog So the smarty tags are only for .tpl -files, I guess?

Yes, Smarty tags to in the .tpl files.

Guess I still see some things too much of a IPB way, since addons there were often practically instructions to modify the core: go to the file y, find a line x and remove that. Then go to the file z, and starting from line v copypaste this code. And that way I made my modifications successfully.

The only way you need to do those actions again is when you need specific debugging information from a function inside Vanilla (as far as I know)

So there's definitely still things here to get used to, and not in a bad way at all! Still amazed that same kind of results can be achieved with just uploading and activating a addon. But then again, restrictions might come up when there isn't a addon.

That's the fun part of a community. When you need an addon, you can ask for it. Maybe more people need it and the addon can be created.

...but there's excessive scrolling and usage of back-button involved with 'out of the box'-version.

That's the exact type of feedback we need, in my opinion. Maybe a 'feature request' for 2.1 could be 'add pagination and breadcrumbs for ui-improvement' with a nice explanation of what, where and how of course :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭

UnderDog said:

With Invision I was actively involved since alpha releases of 2.xxx, I don't have time nor hunger to be that much of a tester anymore. Naturally I contribute bug reports if needed, but am more of a finished release kinda girl now adays and prefer waiting thru few version numbers before upgrading.

Oooh, we could so use your help, just a little peek at the alpha version of 2.1 when it comes out...

It's not like I was in any team, but in a way when ever there was an upgrade or patch available, within few hours I had it up and running on my board and was reporting possible bugs.

And have to think my users too, they've had their fair share of parse errors and wsods during those years, thanks to me.

LOL, If you can tell me the equivalent of a wsod with Vanilla, I'll give you an extra 'like' for that post.

I was able to produce one only few days ago, unfortunately I don't have that file left anymore :D

...but there's excessive scrolling and usage of back-button involved with 'out of the box'-version.

That's the exact type of feedback we need, in my opinion. Maybe a 'feature request' for 2.1 could be 'add pagination and breadcrumbs for ui-improvement' with a nice explanation of what, where and how of course :-)

Thanks! I'm willing to help with 2.1 alpha, since usability is my passion and being involved with open source projects on my free time improves me professionally. I firmly believe every ui/ux/concept/content/usability whatever designer should get their hands dirty with real stuff occasionally and that's one of the reasons why I'm back with playing with my own forum.

But can't promise I'll do actual testing excessively on own board (It's a miracle it is still running quite smoothly after 15 and more IPB upgrades, 3 server and database changes and a change of software two times) so if there's a 2.1 somewhere I can test as a user, just invite me.

• Sheila said:
    But can't promise I'll do actual testing excessively on own board (It's a miracle it is still running quite smoothly after 15 and more IPB upgrades, 3 server and database changes and a change of software two times) so if there's a 2.1 somewhere I can test as a user, just invite me.

I can help you set up a local server (called WAMP) and then you can test on your local PC. There probably won't be a live test version of Vanilla, as far as I can see, just lots of local versions :-)

• SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited July 2012

Thanks! That is a good way of testing with no doubt! I just never really got familiar with WAMP so I've always done my test installations on live server and protected them with .htaccess

From especially usability point of view, I personally value the approach that means real users in real, non simulated situations.
    This is just imo, but I feel you can't beat live testing with for example posting test posts under different user accounts compared to 'seeing' how actual users behave, which elements they seem to click, how they really understand how the selected formatting tool for posts works etc.

I naturally can't be that genuine tester as a person working for web but I do try to behave like one and tend to keep in mind and obey for example Don’t Make Me Think -rules in even every day surfing and which are still fundamental.

And THAT is what makes things interesting to me and provides a constant learning curve. For example on my board I replaced language string for 'Forgot?' with just question mark, since I thought that is so obvious, I was quickly proven to be wrong.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I never work locally, i always work on live servers.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Sheila

I do my planning and testing on a local server, then I upload it to my backup forum folder, which uses the same DB as the live one, so you get the best of both worlds - live interactions that don't affect the smooth running of the forum.

You can always invite some of your users to test the new version and get responses that way.