Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Allowing users to change their usernames?

Hi,

Is there anyway to let users change their usernames? As an admin I can do it fine, but the members can't

I found this over on the hosted side, but doesn't help for those of us with our own forums unfortunately - http://vanillaforums.com/discussion/1289/is-there-an-option-that-will-allow-users-to-edit-their-user-name

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

In the config.php, set Garden.Profile.EditUsernames = TRUE.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Lincoln While on the subject of user names, can a user name be deleted and reused? I know wordpress does not allow it and most boards do not either for obvious reasons..
    I have not tried to erase a user name and reuse it, but some people have and claim they get a "User name taken"

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@vrijvlinder said:
    Lincoln While on the subject of user names, can a user name be deleted and reused? I know wordpress does not allow it and most boards do not either for obvious reasons..
    I have not tried to erase a user name and reuse it, but some people have and claim they get a "User name taken"

a valid question, but on the other hand...

lol - how long would it take you to create a user "testing1" , post a few discussions, delete testing1 and register the "testing1" user again and see what happens.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Good idea, I will try that , but what I meant was, Is there a core configuration within the Vanilla application which blocks people from choosing used names automatically ?

I totally understand why it would not be allowed to do so. If the names can't be used again, where are they stored and is there a way to purge them eventually ?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

perhaps you could look at the validation routine. I assume it is under register and it will tell you all you need to know.

From looking at tables - It doesn't look like the names is stored anywhere, if you delete, so you could probably reuse the name. I could be wrong.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

One consideration would be any posts left by the old user. I don't know if the core code sanitizes the tables, but that would be a concern. I have spent a few hours examining the tables and there may be other items one would need to look at.

Will do :)

I can say that for users who use a facebook id to register and then delete their account and try to use the same name , it won't allow it. There is a whole process that a user has to go through to re claim a name. And even after that it is at their discretion to allow or disallow.

Choose a username you'll be happy with for the long term. Usernames are not transferable.

Wordpress too...

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2012

You can set Garden.Registration.NameUnique = FALSE to allow duplicate names, and Garden.Registration.EmailUnique = FALSE to allow duplicate emails. Yes, Vanilla allows you to recycle names of deleted accounts.

When using only SSO for registration, it makes sense to disable NameUnique.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

one more thing for the todo list. Add a master list of every possible config statement command. :).

I suppose

grep -ri 'C(' *

grep -ri 'Gdn::Config' *

grep -ri 'SavetoConfig' *

should get them all

for events

you could do

grep -ri 'FireEvent' *

you'd have to unique though

@peregrine said:
    one more thing for the todo list. Add a master list of every possible config statement command.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am wondering if there is an easy way to find them.

• look above I edited.

@peregrine said:
    look above I edited.

I'll get my minions started on a list and send it to you.

• @GaryFunk said:

I've posted some of the lists (or partials) on the forum before.

A master list with a clearly identified topic would be helpful to others, I usually can find what I need with grep.

I don't have any minions, just onions and scallions.

• Thank you so much Lincoln! Have added the line:

$Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditUsernames '] = TRUE;

To my config.php file :-)

• Hm, sorry if I'm being stupid here and the above is incorrect, but people are saying that the Edit Username field is still greyed out for them

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@blizeH You have a space after EditUsernames before the single quote.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

So, internally, we regard all these config settings as bogus. We don't really want to compile a reference list, we want to create an awesome interface that allows these changes without it becoming the vBulletin mission control crazy admin panel. It's a difficult problem, but we're working on it.

• Damn, I have no idea how I missed that, thanks Lincoln :-)

Really good to hear your plans for the admin panel too! Very excited to see how it turns out, thanks again for your hard work :D

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@GaryFunk said:

Are your minions sleeping? :)

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/184969/#Comment_184969