Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Proper way to upgrade to 2.1 without porter?

ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

So I've attempted to upgrade my forum to 2.1 twice now, and while user accounts and some categories carry over to the new site, none of the posts or topics do. The discussions/comments db tabes are being wiped clean every time.

Any idea how I could prevent this from happening?

Comments

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

You can wait till official release like I have been waiting for more than 6 months :(

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

Yeah.. but that could take another 6 months :p

• I'm itching to upgrade too, but also worried something like this could happen...

• grep is your friend.

Yep, twice. No posts or discussions to be found.

• have you checked the database?

grep is your friend.

edited February 2013

Yes, the discussions/comments tables were empty after upgrading.

• @Zhaan :D i'm successful with my upgrades from 2.0 -> 2.1 it requires alot of heartache and headache. :)

i recommend a manual upgrade by checking each databases, compare old versions vs new version's database and simply import GDN_activitytype content and dlete your old version database . and import the new one.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade this one is not applicable on my end since ihave alot of internal changes,

if yourwebsite.com/index.php?p=utility/update/ is not working you might wanna try what i did :)

• @Zhaan said:
    So I've attempted to upgrade my forum to 2.1 twice now, and while user accounts and some categories carry over to the new site, none of the posts or topics do. The discussions/comments db tabes are being wiped clean every time.

Any idea how I could prevent this from happening?

I don't get it. You have a local install of 2.x, right? (local PC, not on your server yet) You made a backup and now you want to upgrade. So you install 2.1 and then go to the upgrade. Which steps do you get after that? (document them on the Vanilla Wiki).

You do not need the porter plugin to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1!

So if you want to transfer files from 1 server (or PC or install) to another PC (or server or install) you do not need the porter plugin either.

What I would do is a fresh install of 2.1 on my local PC, then install all plugins and themes, that you need and then restore the backup from your 2.0 install.

Really strange and (from programmer's perspective) interesting that the discussions and comments are missing after upgrade. Please save all those files, database, backup, etc, from before you upgraded, since it will be a nice testcase on what exactly went wrong.

We need to have documented the exact steps that will be done while upgrading, so all the SQL statements, 1 by 1. On the Wiki please.

There was an error rendering this rich post.