Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Addons Issue 60] Quotes/BBCode bug - not displaying username in quote. 2.1

OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

My problem is using Quotes with BBCode. When BBCode is used as the input formatter, the following code is generated.

[quote="Errapolis;9419"]

in HTML, this is generated:

<blockquote rel="Errapolis">

With BBCode, the username doesn't appear at the start of the quote. With HTML, it does.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Attached images show difference between HTML and BBCode.

Tagged:

Comments

• Bump. I'm having this problem too.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013
  • LeeHLeeH
    edited April 2013

Yes, having the same problem on forum.chroniclesofgeorge.com.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Hmm... I don't have this problem. What version of Vanilla are you running?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• are you using native BBCode or NBBC plugin?

grep is your friend.

I suppose I should clarify, I know the discussion name mentions 2.1. The original discussion was last November.

@LeeH, what version is reported in your dashboard?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LeeHLeeH
    edited April 2013

@hgtonight said:
    I suppose I should clarify, I know the discussion name mentions 2.1. The original discussion was last November.
    LeeH, what version is reported in your dashboard?

Had been running for a year with 2.1a cloned and updated via pull from github, and the plugin worked fine throughout.

Trouble started when I moved to 2.1b1, downloaded direct.

Using native BBCode, not anything from a plugin.

edited April 2013

@LeeH Thanks! Unfortunately, that is the version I am running... and I don't have the issue as reported. :S

Search first

• I'm having this same problem with 2.0.18.8.

• @Celeste said:
    I'm having this same problem with 2.0.18.8.

Is hard for me try to expalin this... cause my own lenguage is spanish. But tomorrow i test the original "quote" addon in my forum. I said this because i have one custom "quote" addon running in 2.0.18.8 and dont have problems is based in the original but with some changes mades by one good friend.

If i see problems in the original quote, i up here my own "quotes" for shared to all.. I dont remember what changes have this custom addon now.

Basicamente, tengo 2.0.18.8 y no tengo ningun tipo de problemas con el addon. Puede deberse a que un amigo me hizo unas modificaciones, pero creo recordar, que eran solo en el theme dicha modificaciones y no en el addon en si. No obstante, yo cambie el theme y siguen funcionando. Asi que intuyo que en el "quotes" cambio algo tambien.

Un saludo!

• @Konquet, did you ever get a chance to compare your two versions of the plugin? Or has anyone else been able to figure this out?

• @Celeste said:
    Konquet, did you ever get a chance to compare your two versions of the plugin? Or has anyone else been able to figure this out?

Sorry about that but now, i dont have Vps and forum. So much money problens :(

• LeeHLeeH
    edited May 2013

Still having this problem with 2.1b1—nothing has cleared it up. I'm seeing it on both my main forum and my test forum.

The plugins I'm running are All Viewed, Button Bar, Emotify, Flagging, Ignore, Post Count, Quotes, Rolebadges, Split/Merge, Spoilers, and Whosonline.

Disabling every plug-in one at a time yields no change in the problem behavior. Disabling all plug-ins except for quotes also yields no change in the problem behavior. Switching themes back to Baseline similarly yields no change.

Here's what I'm seeing when viewing posts with quotes:

Here's what I see when I reply to a post with quotes. Note that the correct attributions are THERE, but aren't being displayed.

The rendered HTML looks like this. Note that the QuoteAuthor div isn't being populated with anything.

<div class="Message"> <blockquote class="UserQuote"> <div class="QuoteAuthor"> <a href="/profile/" rel="nofollow"> </a> said:</div> <div class="QuoteText"> <p>/replies with no text again!!</p> </div> </blockquote> I'm quotin' this shit.<br />

Various changes to the format of the quote tag don't appear to do anything. "username;number", "username", username, and username:number make no difference.

I could really, really use a push in the right direction on this.

• Follow-up: /utility/structure shows no pending changes. Hitting the "run structure & data scripts" button anyway yields no changes.

Does removing the " from around the author name in the bbcode markup solve the issue?

Search first

• No, as stated in the post at the bottom, trying several variations on how the quote is entered into the message body does nothing.

@LeeH Sorry about that, I must have glazed over. XD

What I would do is run a diff on your site vs. the base download (or git commit it was based on). This should bring up all the changes you have made.

Search first

• which quotes plugin are you using? what is the version?

grep is your friend.

• Switching InputFormatter in config.php from BBCode to Html totally resolves the issue, and quoting works correctly. However, I'm using BBCode because I prefer BBcode.

Switching InputFormatter to Markdown also works (though nested quotes don't collapse). I'd rather skin myself alive than use Markdown, though.

No quote love for BBCode?

• @x00 said:
    which quotes plugin are you using? what is the version?

Version 1.6.1.