HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking for feedback on "potential" PeregrineReactions plugin.

Comments

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited June 2013

@peregrine said:
    I'm going to forego negative reactions or reactions with negative connotations.

I understand, but can't you leave the possibility for the maintainer to choose between the reactions that give points (positive) and the reactions that remove points (negative)? I think some negative behaviors (eg, users who ignore netiquette) could be "punished" by forum users (not just by the moderators). Just a suggestion.

@Srggamer said:
    What about Troll?

Indeed :)

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

Tested a bit with font-awesome, although the "lol" reaction is a little borked. The concept works:
    http://tama63.github.io/ReactionCSS/test.html
    https://github.com/Tama63/ReactionCSS

Anyone is free to use this, if they ever do a reactions plugin

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@Tama said:
    Tested a bit with font-awesome, although the "lol" reaction is a little borked. The concept works:
    http://tama63.github.io/ReactionCSS/test.html
    https://github.com/Tama63/ReactionCSS

Anyone is free to use this, if they ever do a reactions plugin

thx. nice.

@Todd mentioned in another discussion:
    I do urge you to make your own flavour of reactions .... If you recall the recent uproar over mega6382 and his themes it seems to me like you guys really don't like complete knock-offs right?

I agree with Todd. I'm going to pm Todd. and see what is ethical and what is not.

@Todd

if we used Tama's workup and font-awesome icons and placed them in the same area as Social reactions, without using any of your sprites but using Hijack class and obviously different coding for sql. Would that be stepping over the line in terms of knockoffs? or is the functionality idea (clicking on 3 similar reactions, giving points, and showing who clicked) the ethical violation.

peregrine previously said:
    I am officially throwing in the towel for this plugin at this point.

but perhaps:

I am officially throwing in the towel for this plugin at this point.

depending on response I may pick up "hot potato" again

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited June 2013

@peregrine said:

Fixed them so they are the same size xd ( and fixed again )

Edit: also this might be a big ask, but could locale definitions be used in the plugin - so users can edit the reactions to whatever they want, without having to fiddle with code all too much.

edited June 2013

• maybe one more reaction with a camera - for artistic ??

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited June 2013

@peregrine said:
    maybe one more reaction with a camera - for artistic ??

Pushed to the repo ( should be on the demo any time soon ).
    ( looks like it's updated )

<div class="ReactionClass">
        <span class="React lol">Funny</span><span class="React wow">Wow</span><span class=
        "React scholarly">Scholary</span><span class="React artistic">Artistic</span>
      </div>

is the simple demo code

• @Tama

curious - same image different browser.

wow is a car in firefox, wow is a star in gogle chrome.

funny image - I may have something wrong.

edited June 2013

@peregrine said:
    Tama

curious - same image different browser.

wow is a car in firefox, wow is a star in gogle chrome.

funny image - I may have something wrong.

Yeah I changed wow to a star, as it was easier to make it more consistent. I'll take a look at firefox ( cross browser hacks suck :( ).

Edit: Seems to be working in firefox fine, I pushed a commit to fix the padding for the funny reaction ( did that for IE as well ).

@peregrine : bearing in mind that the demo relys on a html skeleton ( not the actual hooked plugin ), are you able to pm a copy of the plugin with just the reactions rendered ?

Edit : CSS now works back to ie8, and 2 versions back of firefox ( also works on chrome)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited June 2013

I'd be in for donating.

@peregirne: If ok then let us know how much you are targeting for, and how much got donated. This will help to describe the value in there and make that process more visible to all of us.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@phreak

I'd be in for donating.

thx. no answer for your other question. But I'm hoping people specify $amounts.

@tama

I think I will just go with png file for the icons for the time being.

e.g.

• @peregrine said:
    I think I will just go with png file for the icons for the time being.

Where did the third icon come from? Looks familiar.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Shadowdare said:
    Where did the third icon come from? Looks familiar.

it's the github kitty lol

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/github-alt/

• Actually - what I will eventually will put up is 4 line drawing pngs that look ok in a small thumbnail type of image (when they magically appear).

one lighting bolt for wow.
    one sherlock holmes silhouette for scholarly
    a camera for artistic
    and a smiling face for funny.

edited June 2013

@peregrine said:
    Actually - what I will eventually will put up is 4 line drawing pngs that look ok in a small thumbnail type of image (when they magically appear).

one lighting bolt for wow.
    one sherlock holmes silhouette for scholarly
    a camera for artistic
    and a smiling face for funny.

Remember font awesome can be used as a font on the pc, you just need to do some trickery to get the ascii up ( use word or something to insert it as a symbol, and then copy it to an image editor ).

for example :

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited June 2013

This would be a great asset to the community.

I pledge $50 in hopes others will join me!

I have to express my distaste for using fonts as icons in this use case.

• It requires messing with the semantic content (Using characters to represent images)
    • It increases complexity for maintaining cross-browser compatibility (since fonts are rendered differently)
    • It requires another layer of knowledge and tool-chain to change the icons to fit your theme
    • A small sprite sheet would not have to worry about the flash of unstyled content (FOUC) due to delays in loading and rendering the font

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@hgtonight said:
    This would be a great asset to the community.

I pledge $50 in hopes others will join me!

I have to express my distaste for using fonts as icons in this use case.

• It requires messing with the semantic content (Using characters to represent images)
    • It increases complexity for maintaining cross-browser compatibility (since fonts are rendered differently)
    • It requires another layer of knowledge and tool-chain to change the icons to fit your theme
    • A small sprite sheet would not have to worry about the flash of unstyled content (FOUC) due to delays in loading and rendering the font

I agree with your sentiments on the font and it is slower loading than a small image as far as I can see (at least the font-awesome is).

• Wouldn't it just be easier to let the user decide what reactions they want, so it can fit in better with that forum? Custom icon upload? Anyways, I would love an "awesome" reaction.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2013

I have an idea , to add specific role reactions. Sort of like reactions only available to certain people like mods or vets.

So only those people could give and see that reaction. Kind of like the way the promote button works here.

If I had a personal reaction it would be a "Slap" hehehe ;)

some people need one ....