Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Browser doesn't offer to remember login details

csakipcsakip New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I couldn't find why the browser (Firefox 14) does not offer to remember the login and password at signing in. Some of my users use dynamic IP ISP, so the "keep me signed in" is not working.

Or maybe should I change the way the keep me signed in works?

Comments

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

yes (since a long time) this login pop-up window doesn't remember password w/ Firefox and may be other browser

no way to fix it ?

• this should be in firefox settings.

grep is your friend.

• @x00: thanks, but I have some more info on this. I've tested it with the user. Firefox only remembers the login name, but does not autofill the password. IE fills the password too. :/

• Ok but it is not really a vanilla issue.

grep is your friend.

• I'm not sure. On other sites password remembering works fine.
    Anyway, thanks, I will investigate further.

• is it a password save issue or is it that you are deleting your session cookies when you close your browser. Take a look at your preference for cookie deletion. If you delete vanilla cookies you are not signed in the next time. no ifs and or buts.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP

yumyum vanilla cookies ;)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• That's not what I'm talking about. The "remember me" checkbox works as it should.

There is a function in all browsers to remember passwords. Firefox doesn't remember the password on the vanilla forum. It works on other sites so it's not a FF setting issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

ok - maybe the firefox forum then... if you find a solution report back.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2012

I disagree, just because it doesn't work on one site doesn't mean it isn't Firefox issue.

A sites content should have no influence over that, if so it would be a privacy issue. You need to take it up with Mozilla folk.

examples:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=675834

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=667233

grep is your friend.

• csakip said:
    Firefox doesn't remember the password on the vanilla forum. It works on other sites so it's not a FF setting issue.

Don't draw that conclusion so quickly. Now and in the Future, at least concerning Vanilla.

As you can see from the Bug Reports it might even be a FireFox bug.

Just a hint. The login from Vanilla is a JavaScript / jQuery Popup. Maybe that's the reason the password doesn't get auto-filled once you enter the UserName.

Follow the FireFox bugs is all I can say :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

Does it work (meanin firefox and passwords) if you set the signin so it presents itself as a regular page instead of a popup.

• Hi,
    From your suggestion I searched around and found this:
    $Configuration['Garden']['SignIn']['Popup'] = FALSE;
    To disable the popup and now it works fine. Thanks peregrine I didn't know that there was a login page too.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭
    edited September 2013

[Split please, necroposting]

@peregrine said:
    Does it work (meanin firefox and passwords) if you set the signin so it presents itself as a regular page instead of a popup.

Sorry to be late about it ;-) but it's still an open issue for us

only username is showed with pop-up window but if I use 'open in a new tab' / when I go directly to this login page then my name and password 're recorded !

in all Vanilla forum where I went, since a long time (early 2.0) and ;-) even if I don't delete my cookies

Voila...