Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Downloadable New Official Logos to Show our Vanilla-ness?

Hello, I was wondering if the Vanilla crew has the new flat logo for us to download and show off instead of the textured one.

Tagged:

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

We sure do! Would you be able to work with an .svg or would you prefer a bitmap?

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• From my understanding they would rather you not use the logo, except maybe in attribution in the foot (don't quote me on that). As this can be construe that you are officially related to Vanilla as a company, rather than just using the software.

Even if you say serve vanilla themes, you can't directly use their logo for this ends. But you can come up with your own logo with Vanilla in it.

Some have done it anyway (mostly non English sites) and they haven't cracked down on it, but from discussion like this before my understanding is the Trade Mark isn't to be used except in fair use, or in the means they have sanctioned it.

There is not requirement and is not their intention that you use the the logo in your theme.

I know some companies do, some don't. Vanilla allows you to remove the "Powered By". Perhaps they would allow you to use a different version of the logo, with some guidelines.

I'm not aware of any explicit guidelines relating to this.

Perhaps @Todd or @Lincoln can give their view.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Kasper, I would prefer an SVG personally, but a bitmap (PNG preferred) will probably offer better control of the branding identity.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2014

@x00 For lack of an official policy, WordPress's policy is a good guideline. http://wordpressfoundation.org/trademark-policy/

• CaioCaio
    edited January 2014

@Kasper .svg personally, so I can scale it with it losing quality. And sorry I'm late but congratulations, Kasper, for getting a job at Vanilla! :D

• @x00 I understand. All I was going to use it for was attributing the software to Vanilla on the footer of my forums (and maybe a personal wallpaper).

edited January 2014

Alright, I'll prep some updated assets as soon as Adobe CC comes back online. Also, thanks heaps – I've actually been working here full-time for 6 months now, it's crazy how time flies!

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• @Kasper Really? Where have I been? Thanks for the logos :)

• @Lincoln said:
    x00 For lack of an official policy, WordPress's policy is a good guideline. http://wordpressfoundation.org/trademark-policy/

The other kind of guide that might be useful is one the concerns the presentation. Such as colours and embellishment.

This is a good example

http://mailchimp.com/about/brand-assets/

I suppose facebook an twitter have been very lenient especially with social icons. Because many of these are themed to fit an icon set, some of the icon set are sold. They have the characteristic of the the trademark, but are created as original works.

grep is your friend.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Todd or @Lincoln
    I want to make Vanilla T shirts to help monetize the developments . I would invest in the making of these T shirts and give them away to any one who donates $20 bucks or more to someone.

The Tshirt would be white with the Vanilla logo like on this forum. Or black with white letters.

Is this ok to do ? Or do I pay for a licensee to use the name on T shirts ?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would totally sport some Vanilla merch.

Just saying :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• CaioCaio
    edited January 2014

@vrijvlinder Nice idea. Would love to see some.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder Not my call. That said, my vote would be against anything that involved money changing hands.

Ok, what about BitCoins, the philosophy behind BitCoin is similar to the Open Source Philosophy ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    Ok, what about BitCoins, the philosophy behind BitCoin is similar to the Open Source Philosophy ;)

Perhaps, as long as bit coins
    1. - don't change hands,
    2. - t-shirts don't change backs
    3. - and money doesn't change hands for services, source, or supplies.
    4. - the only changing of hands should be by prestidigitation.

seriously though - it would be a trademark or copyright issue that would need to be cleared with owners of trademark and a blessing.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Yes exactly, BitCoins never touch any hands !!

T shirts don't change backs unless you want to share your t shirt which would be ok.

and money doesn't change hands for services, source, or supplies.

What you don't know can't hurt you ...

the only changing of hands should be by prestidigitation.

I was under the impression that is how you come up with such great plugins !!

@Caio Here you go!

• CaioCaio
    edited January 2014

I'm in love with the logo. It's so gorgeous! By the way, I might not convert it to bitmap, might just use plain SVG on web due to this article